Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Freezing system

Started by alacecho, December 13, 2016, 01:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alacecho

Hi all!

I am looking for some help. From a several weeks I have problems because the system is freezing sometimes, when awake from suspend state. I was thinking the problem came from Network Manager (I got some errors from wifi driver during halting the system), so I install Wicd, but the problem continuous. So, sometimes, I open the laptop for continuous working, but it is frozen and I must push the off button and restart (sure is not a good idea for the filesystem health). Another extrange symtom: Sometimes the system awake from suspend mode, but no internet conection, and I must push Ctr+Alt+1 for enter into the console, and turn off the computer. But the "reboot" o "halt" commands never work.

My system is:
- Linux version 4.8.0-1-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 5.4.1 20161019 (Debian 5.4.1-3) ) #1 SMP Debian 4.8.7-1 (2016-11-13)
- x86_64 arch
- SparkyLinux 4 Tyche
- Using Openbox, nitrogen and tint

I know is so difficult to find a solution to this, because it can be due to anything. Someone have one idea about this? Is possible to looking for some logs into the system to get more information about the problems?

Thank you and sorry for my bad english!
Alex.

paxmark1

Sorry, I don't have any solutions.

"journalctl"  is the tool to view the systems (systemd) logs. 

"man journalctl"  for some info.  A good site to learn and see examples is
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-journalctl-to-view-and-manipulate-systemd-logs

For your problem
If you have gotten to a tty via Ctl-Alt-F1    (or F2, etc.)  you can look at what happened recently  via

"journalctl -n 50"         ## which would show the last 50 lines of logs.

If you had to reboot "journalctl -b -1 -n 150"  ## more lines because of all the shut down procedures.

and for seeing what is not working "journalctl -b -0 | grep ailed"   which would should show you lines containing "Failed" or "failed"  Example from me is
journalctl -b -0 | grep ailed
Dec 13 16:46:49 raunes systemd-udevd[305]: Process '/usr/sbin/alsactl -E HOME=/run/alsa restore 0' failed with exit code 99.
Dec 13 16:46:49 raunes systemd-udevd[312]: Process '/usr/sbin/alsactl -E HOME=/run/alsa restore 1' failed with exit code 99.
Dec 13 16:46:50 raunes minissdpd[599]: Failed to add IPv4 multicast membership for interface 0.0.0.0.
Dec 13 16:46:52 raunes kernel: vboxdrv: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
Dec 13 16:46:53 raunes colord[659]: failed to get session [pid 600]: No such device or address

For your internet - if you have "ifupdown" you can take your network all the way down with "ifdown blah" and then back up with  "ifup blah".  blah can be found via ifconfig. 

Network-manager is a large big thing, but fairly well maintained.  You might want to look at the Debian Bug Tracker page for network-manager.  Wicd is imho not well maintained these days.  It has fewer developers keeping up with the changes.  Your main choices are networkmanager or  connman or some command line ways.  There has been some changes in iptables, etc. in November.  Since you have the same problems with network-manager and wicd, I would suggest going back to network-manager.     
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

alacecho

Thank you so much, parmark1.

I will review the logs and I will follow your ideas. Another reason for change networkmanager is because was taking a long time for connect to different Wifi routers, when I move to different areas into the company (I don't know if both problems are connected).

Thanks again! I will tell more if a find a solution.

Regards!
Alex.

View the most recent posts on the forum