Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

have 64 bit OS in debian more repositories software?

Started by dass, November 02, 2016, 09:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dass

Have 64 bit OS in debian more repositories software compared with 32 bit?  (testing) i can see 50,000 average in sinaptic running sparky kde 32 bit.  And [2]  exist a program or script whatever can be which  can read my system (computer)  and say if my processor is 64 or 32? This is because i bought a netbook ( used)  recently and dont kow  what processor  this have. Thanks!

paxmark1

Mark likes inxi

1. (sudo) "apt-get install inxi"
      "man inxi"
     "inxi -C"    ##  to find out about your chip.     ## of course there are other command line ways to find this out

2. 32 vs 64.  As far as the debian packages are concerned - probably over 99% of the packages that are 64 bit are available in 32 bit.  Wine was liking 32 bit in days gone by, but we now have multi-arch.  Sparky has many wine enthusiasts

3.  Why  would you want to run the DE with the most flux in it's development, KDE, with the still huge building process of KF5 if you do not have a strong linux background.  (Pardon men if you have a strong linux background).  What will you do if the QT 5.7.1 transition stops the working of your panel and keyboard shortcuts (mine did last night in sid and lxqt)  Why would you want to use a CPU and memory intensive DE in a netbook. 

Sparky XFCE4, LXDE and LXQT would all work well on sparky and would run modestly fast.  I have 32 bit lxqt sparky on a first generation atom netbook with 1 GB.  Before I went from 1GB to 4GB of memory on a AMD-C30 bobcat Asus netbox I used 32 bit with #! because what was the need for 64 bit with only 1 GB of memory. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

sasdthoh

I agree with your assessment of Lxde and Lxqt, especially the latter. I was amazed at how stable the latest LXQT desktop was when using it with an 11-year old pc with 1-gig ram, a dual core athlon x2 processor, and integrated radeon video chipset.

As for cpu info, the old and venerable command line works really well.

cat /proc/cpuinfo

provides a much useful info, especially cpu instruction sets.

Paul (sasdthoh)

View the most recent posts on the forum