Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Searching for a file

Started by colonel, September 18, 2016, 02:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonel

I downloaded a file and then cut and moved it to anther HDD. Its not traceable. How do I get a good search engine? :-X

Dai_trying

You could try using "locate" if it says command not recognised you can install it with sudo apt-get install mlocate when it is installed you must run sudo updatedb then type locate <text> and it will list files with the text string either in the name or the path, I usually find it gives more results than you would want but it can always be refined further with a grep like this locate quicktest | grep doc and it will only show files with doc in the name/path. I find it very useful, but remember to "updatedb" before you search to include / exclude files that have been added / removed recently.
HTH

colonel

Got it but should the text be in inverted commas? or < >?

colonel

I got a msg bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

paxmark1

example

paxmark@raunes:~$ locate Jacobshav
/home/paxmark/Documents/EOTW/Greenland-Ellsmere/Jacobshavn
/home/paxmark/Documents/EOTW/Greenland-Ellsmere/Jacobshavn/29 May compared to 18 July north branch Jakobshavn crevasse development.png
/home/paxmark/Documents/EOTW/Greenland-Ellsmere/Jacobshavn/Jacobshavn-20170807_Sentinel-2A_B432_10m.gif
/home/paxmark/Documents/EOTW/Greenland-Ellsmere/Jacobshavn/Jacobshavn_Bed-S2A+Bed_20160718_JH..jpg

Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

py-thon

@ colonel
It would be useful if you had added your DE in the first question. At least some file managers have this function incorporated so you don't have to install anything to search for a file by (part of) its name.
Tower and Notebook: Sparky (testing) 64bit MATE

dhinds

Quote from: colonel on September 18, 2016, 02:15:11 PM
I downloaded a file and then cut and moved it to anther HDD. Its not traceable. How do I get a good search engine? :-X

Install spacefm, which includes spacefm file seach

Dai_trying

@colonel
    Sorry I should have said without the "<>". I must check my forum settings as I don't get any notifications otherwise I would have replied sooner...

colonel

Thank guys for the help btw whats DE? :-\

paxmark1

Desk Top Environment.  Some varieties are Gnome, KDE, LXQT LXDE Mate, XFCE and numerous others. 
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

colonel

View the most recent posts on the forum