Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

32-bit UEFI Installation on a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2

Started by steve9000, July 12, 2016, 03:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve9000

32-bit UEFI installation possible?  Which distro?  The tablet only understands GPT UEFI.

Go easy on me, I am a Windows retard.

Tablet in question:  http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Tablets/ThinkPad-Tablet-Series/ThinkPad-Tablet-2/3679/

pavroo

Hi
Every Sparky spin provides uefi support for 32 or 64 bit machines.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

pavroo

Yes, both Sparky Installer (live-installer) and Sparky Advanced Installer provide support for what you need.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

Emphyrio

I just did a succesful installation on a medion akoya S2217, which also has a 32 bit UEFI  8)

the only hitch I encountered was that, while booting the livecd correctly, it installed the 64 efi boot bin. I had
to manually install the grub-efi-ia32 packages after installation.

(just for completeness: I copied over the livecd bootia32.efi to the boot disk to be able to boot the system into a grub command line, from where I could boot the installed system, then I could install the
32 bit grub packages)

kencredible

Did you get anywhere with the Lenovo TPT2 install? I am trying the same thing. Tablet just freezes after pressing inter on any of the grub entries.

fopetesl

I have the same problem with an ASUS EeeBook 32 bit only UEFI system.

First the WiFi isn't recognised so I have no net access for drivers, etc.
There is no LAN (RJ45) port.  WiFi only.

Second I get prompted to must have an EFI partition but no switch, (I can see), to set one up.
I does have partitions from an earlier (failed) Windows installation.

Help!

kencredible

I have got some more info on installing on the Lenovo tpt2. From another forum I found rEFInd "http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html" which automatically reads any compatible UEFI devices. I can easily now try out distributions but I keep getting stuck where the install just hangs up after selecting any install method. I have read that it is a video driver issue or that it is trying to install the 64 bit version. I am a complete novice at Linux so I don't know my way around installs and such. Most of my other devices just install Linux with out many hiccups. Any suggestions to try in editing Grub startup?

MoroS

Most of those hanging installs on 32-bit UEFI hardware are basically because of some video driver issues. For example. the ASUS Transformer T100TA tablet required a few kernel switches to be passed into the GRUB kernel line in the config to boot properly.

Sadly it varies from hardware to hardware as 32-bit UEFI is somewhat a taboo right now (appeared late to the party and before it got comfortable it has started being deprecated by 64-bit UEFI, as the 32-bit architecture in general is being dropped). That being said, you still have a chance of installing when newer ISO images come out with newer kernel. There are still people out there, who try to fix things. The aforementioned T100TA went from practically unusable (no wifi, sound, power management, special keys support, screen rotation or brightness control - in other words: full battery sucking and not much to do with anything without hacks) to almost usable (as I last tried newer kernels didn't require any additional options and most things just started working out of the box).
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

View the most recent posts on the forum