Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Strange fsck problem

Started by toothandnail, June 18, 2016, 01:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toothandnail

I currently have two Sparky installs on my laptop. First one has been around for a while, though I don't use it a great deal. The second one was an experiment, installed from the latest iso.

My normal OS is Arch Linux. A few days ago, I had  a problem due to a dirty shutdown. No great problem, I thought, started Arch in single mode and ran fsck on all partitions. Well, almost all partitions. When I got to the partition that houses the latest Sparky install, I got this error:

fsck from util-linux 2.28
e2fsck 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
/dev/sda11 has unsupported feature(s): metadata_csum
e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!

I got round the problem, but I was a bit surprised. Arch is normally pretty much the latest software available. So I did some checking, and found that both Sparky and Arch use util-linux 2.28. But the version of fsck in the Sparky version of the package is more recent than the version in Arch. Yet the same overall package version.

Does anyone know where the difference comes from? I know there was/is a util-linux-ng package, but didn't think that it was used by either distro, so I'm at something of a loss to explain the difference.

Paul.

View the most recent posts on the forum