Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

SOLVED --- trying to install VMWAre - seperate

Started by crazyodaz, June 14, 2016, 10:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyodaz

been googling the heck out of this, trying to install VMware workstation 12.xxx ON sparky's --- been using vmware to run windows virtual within linux and recently been stumbling on this something massive -- so -- before i format, before i start over on last time before giving up -- does anybody have suggestions?

currently i can try to use the installer via aptus for the player, that wont install or remove the player --- neither --- go to uninstall and it says its not there, go to install and it just dont complete ---

package manager not showing any options either, atleast none that are decoded because my decoder ring is lost ---

just trying to make light of a situation -- be happy just to un-install and re-install so i dont get this error if possible --- not having VMware is deal breaker as Linux does NOT support my MagicJack USB IP phone --- so I usually run VMware to run windows inside, so that Linux can fake it's way through supporting the MagicJack Phone --- thanx in advanc

ya can see the screenshot here -- when i try to install, this is the error --- when i try to run it from menu, cause the menu item is there -- nothing, like i forgot to buy 12 dozen roses and not even going to talk to me

lets just un-install what i got --- so i can re-install the *.BUNDLE file -- thanx

http://imgur.com/HyrRaGj

Leaphorn

Hi,

probably not the answer you were hoping for, but I thought I share anyway:

I was a VMware user (workstation and player) for many years but finally gave up. I got sick and tired of having to hunt for kernel module patches any time I upgraded the kernel on my Linux installations (Ubuntu, Arch, Debian ... name it, always the same problem). So finally I switched to Virtualbox about a year ago and haven't looked back since. Very painless!

Reason for me to stick to Vmware for so long was their Unity mode for running the guest seamlessly integrated in my linux desktop. After they dropped the support for this there was really no reason anymore to go through stretches of broken VMware.

As far as I know, you can even convert you VMware guest to be a Virtalbox guest. Search the web, VB has tools for that.

Just a suggestion and my few cents worth of input! :)

Good luck with your efforts!

crazyodaz

yea appreciate it, virtualbox won't work with magicjack -- atleast i could not get it to hand over the USB phone successfully -- anyways i appreciate your answer, lots of my google search has been leading that way into the TAR file fix and whatnot.  I do like sparky's so far, using the game over edition, will check this forum again before i format tomorrow will try the multimedia edition next and hope that everything works, 

thanx again for your reply

Leaphorn

Sorry, can't help you with you usb issues in VB.

So far I only connected sticks and my Garmin GPS watch for updates. That worked with no issue.

Good luck!

The Black Pig

Hi Leaphorn,
I run VMware Workstation 12 no problems. Don't know what installation of Sparky you are using.
I did the following -
Using the minimal installation cd I installed LXDE desktop.
Then installed VMware Workstation 12 , once installed on the first run you are told 'XYZ cannot be found' , these are easily installable using Synaptic.
I have an iso image of Sparky LXDE with  VMware Workstation 12 but not sure how I could get it to you.

Leaphorn

Hi BlackPig,

don't worry, I'm very happy with VB. I don't intend to go back to Vmware anytime soon.

Thanks and cheers!

crazyodaz

Quote from: The Black Pig on June 15, 2016, 10:33:56 AM
Hi Leaphorn,
I run VMware Workstation 12 no problems. Don't know what installation of Sparky you are using.
I did the following -
Using the minimal installation cd I installed LXDE desktop.
Then installed VMware Workstation 12 , once installed on the first run you are told 'XYZ cannot be found' , these are easily installable using Synaptic.
I have an iso image of Sparky LXDE with  VMware Workstation 12 but not sure how I could get it to you.

SUCCESS !!!
thanx both of ya -- seriously with this info and another post mentioning something about "INSTALLING VMWARE FIRST" -- "BEFORE" SPARKY'S 1st RUN

here is what I did -- incase it helps anybody else -- what made it work, I dont know or question it, but it works

================================================================

1) Fresh install Sparky's 4.3 Multimedia -- REBOOT COMPUTER AFTER INSTALL FINISHES
2) EXIT OUT OF... DO NOT RUN --- Sparky's 1st Run will try to run upon reboot, just exit out of this, do not remove it, just exit it, so that next time your computer reboots it will run hence converting the 1st run into the 2nd run :p
3) INSTALL VMWARE PRO v12 -- VMware-Workstation-Full-12.0.0-2985596.x86_64.bundle (I previously downloaded this version from VMWARE site themselves not sure but google it if you need this older version -- your own serial should work

==== THIS IS WHERE I FROZE UP LAST TIME AND 10,000+ TIMES BEFORE --  I even rebooted computer, canceled out of the 1st run again like in step #2 to try to run, nothing would happen, it would just act like a ditzy blonde and do nothing -- only if i could get it started so i can update it

4) UPDATE IT MANUALLY -- INSTALL VMWARE OVER ITSELF!!! -- take that stuborn VMWARE!! -- LOL
    VMware-Workstation-Full-12.1.1-3770994.x86_64.bundle -- ONCE AGAIN, downloaded from VMWARE site itself, I left the previous version 12.0.0 above INSTALLED, just ran this newer version 12.1.1,xxxx ontop of it, hence making my own upgrade / update

5) AFTER INSTALL, VERIFIED WORKING -- IMMEDIATLY SHUT DOWN VMWARE -- REBOOTED
6) FINALLY -- INSTALL / UPDATE / UPGRADE SPARKY'S 1st Run --- sorry sparky -- LOL
7) after all that updating -- reboot -- then try to run VMware again

8) IMMEDIATLY start cussing flower names outloud as VMWARE does not start, then immediatly remember what Leaphorn said about kernels, sparky's first run updated my kernel to 4.6.x
9) reboot computer -- THIS TIME USE THE 4.5 KERNEL THAT CAME WITH SPARKY'S 4.3 BEFORE UPDATING -- OBVIOUSLY YA GET THERE BY GOING INTO THE ADVANCED OPTIONS IN GRUB BOOT -- THEN CHOOSE 4.5 NORMAL -- YA DON'T NEED RECOVERY MODE, YA JUST NEED THE OLDER KERNELS

10) IMMEDIATLY OPEN EVERYTHING UP -- AND REJOICE THAT EVERYTHING IS WORKING

=======================================================================================================

ok -- so thats it, thats how i got it to work, obviously i have few issues to work out, like un-installing kernels 4.6 or making them work,  the two apps that where important to me "KODI" and "VMWARE" are working in harmony, one of the reasons why i chose the multimedia edition was i figured it would not hurt using KODI --- maybe Sparky's needs to add KODI into the ISO --- anyways

up and running --- after almost giving up, trial and error, distro after distro, prolly formated 25+ times this past week just to find a replacement for MINT --- I have never ran into such a situation that a OLDER app version like VMware 12.0 would NOT be supported but 12.1.1 was ---- maybe bypassing the 12.0.0 version all together would work, but that was the version my employer gave me to work from home -- so it was frustration city when it would not work

i can now relax -- finsh setting up KODI and VMware -- then backup / image my HD --- gotta research a beter ext4 backup utility --- i can see future hassles with newer kernels like Leaphorn mentioned -- but unless the kernel upgrade actually give some sort of benifit, prolly better to keep and run the 4.5's

and yes, for most people -- Virtualbox is better solution -- it is even lighter on resources, but for some of us with tricky USB devices like internet phones,  well -- hope this helps somebody

thanx again

http://imgur.com/cVrcfNW

View the most recent posts on the forum