Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Solved: Xen versus kvm

Started by paxmark1, April 30, 2016, 12:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paxmark1

Old hard disk died on an even older computer.  8 years old.  On the new desktop I will have 8GB memory and my i3 has intel -vx options for virtualization.  So I will be utilizing uefi, lvm2 and then a choice of kvm or xen to access Windows 7 a couple times a month.  Has anyone used these in Debian testing/Sparky?  Dibl from siduction uses kvm for unstable and the big changes in python are done - so virt-manager should be stable.  I appreciate any words of experience.
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

seonine

Xen and kvm are basically differnet and therefore they sould/could not be compared - imho!

Xen is a Hypervisor itself for the VMs - with kvm the system kernel is the hypervisor and
has to be prepared accordingly.... read the wikipedia for more information....

to access Win7 "a couple times a month" virtualbox could be your choice! Easy to install and easy
to use - and easy for the daily use.

SeONine

paxmark1

Yeah, been using websites for qemu-kvm and some help from a guy on siduction, but the bridging set up and converting the info from older web sites from old libraries prior to the gcc transition is a bit much.  Converting to systemd-networking  and the applying the bridge is a bit much also - even with just etho and no networkmanager has been no walk in the park.  I will try for some help from HOAS, but - I deeply appreciate your input.  I got the uefi up and lvm up and like both, thats enough learning, time to get machine into productio.  Again, Thanks seonine! 

EDIT:  Following https://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox#Desktop  especially the
"apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') virtualbox"

and I can say that it works in Testing.   This box is not sparky (another one is) so in Sparky the vbox dkms is already in and ready to go - I believe. 

My windows license key crapped out  new hdd and mobo.  I paid for a new key, but later see that using my XP cd and key might have gotten me up for free. 

I will mark this as solved
Search forum for "More info easier via inxi"    If requested -  no inxi, no help for you by  me.

View the most recent posts on the forum