Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Text Installer with Console Speech

Started by djringjr, March 31, 2024, 04:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djringjr

Please take the standard Debian text installer which is accessible with console speech and modify it with Sparky Linux repositories and package lists.

Blind people need Sparkylinux.

djringjr

I have done some work on achieving this.

First. I installed speech-dispatcher, espeak and espeakup as what's said to be an install with screen reader didn't install them.

Also brltty the braille device driver wasn't installed. I installed that also.

But still no console speech.

Also now I cannot log in with my laptop that has Sparkylinux on it. Log in says "error", so I am sending this from my phone.

Best regards,

David

djringjr

So far, no success.

My next plan is to get the installed packages list, and a copy of the /etc/apt/sources.list file which gives the Sparky Linux repositories.

Then using a minimal Debian iso, install using console speech. The Debian iso asks you if you want speech during instalation, and if so to press "s".

With that I can make myself a talking Sparky Linux, but it still doesn't solve the problem of having Sparky instalation being accessible for blind users.

One step at a time.

Regards,

David

djringjr

I can make a list of installed packages in the full MATE GUI of SparkyLinux with this command:

sudo dpkg-query -f '${binary:Package}\n' -W > packages_list.txt

After I install Debian Minimum and change the /etc/apt/sources.list file to the SparkyLinux /etc/apt/sources.list file showing the added repositories for Sparky Linux, I can then add all the installed packages that I need to have a full Sparky MATE GUI with this command:

sudo xargs -a packages_list.txt apt install

djringjr

Sparky unfortunately doesn't have the GUI screen reader installed, but it can be installed.

Debian already has both console speech and GUI speech (orca) installed out of the box if you press "s" at the start of the installer.

DR

djringjr

I made a list of the applications installed from that system and was trying to install those packages. I figured out. Except for getting the keys in the keyring, I did this (I forgot to write the steps down.) I think it was sudo apt-get add [keyid]

To get an installed package list:

dpkg --get-selections > ~/Package.list
sudo cp -R /etc/apt/sources.list* ~/
sudo apt-key exportall > ~/Repo.keys

To restore the package list on my talking Debian.

sudo apt-key add ~/Repo.keys
sudo cp -R ~/sources.listtc/apt/
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dselect
sudo dselect update
sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

BINGO!

Everything works!

Thank you,
David

View the most recent posts on the forum