Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Connecting to a Windows workgroup - How To?

Started by linuxNoob, May 21, 2016, 07:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

linuxNoob

Hello all,

I am fairly new to Linux, and completely new to Sparky, so don't feel bad about dumbing down any explanations. I need it.

With that being said, I have a large amount of movie files that I would like to share throughout the house, and all of my other computers are all set up. The only thing missing is to get my Sparky pc connected to the workgroup. I have done a bit of research, and though I can find some good tutorials on how to get things set up on Ubuntu and a few other distros, I am not finding anything solid for Sparky. I gave the tutorials I did find a chance, but they all mentioned right click a file and configuring it's share settings which I found to be a not present option.

Is there anyone who has done this who could guide me a good walk through on this?

Thanks!

Wombat

The samba config file that you will need to modify as root is at /etc/samba/smb.conf.
Save a backup copy in case a mistake is made and open with leafpad.
Go down to [global] and uncomment # workgroup = workgroup
                                                       to     workgroup = workgroup   or workgroup = (whatever you named your MS workgroup as...and this should be a workgroup not a homegroup *google the difference*)

then save....if it doesn't save you are not working as root . Go back and enter 'sudo dolphin' or 'gksudo pcmanfm' in the terminal to open your file manager as root.
Best to get the sharing setup between the linux machines first... or even the one linux pc as the samba share is a different entity.

Go down to "Share Definitions" and add your folders you wish to share on your Sparky distro. I, 'wombat', have movies on a separate partition called 'store' so I have the following entries

[movies$]
   comment =movies
   path = /media/wombat/store/movies/
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   guest ok = yes

[movies]
   comment = movies
   path = /media/wombat/store/movies/
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   guest ok = yes

Copy/paste the 2 entries into the smb config file just change to your correct path, and save. After restarting your computer you should be able to see this  folder in your file manager in Network/Sambashares/workgroup on that same linux pc. If not it wont show up on other PCs either.
Sometimes it takes a few restarts to show up.

The [movies$] was to allow the path to be 'mapped' by a windows machine... not even sure if still necessary with W10 but have left it in anyway.

The following entry allows everything in your home directories to be shared-

[home]
   comment = Home Directories
   path = /home/wombat
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   guest ok = yes

Permissions should be altered to allow whatever access you want and users should be part of the sambashare or smb group. ...install sparky_users tool from sparky aptus extra to assist you. In windows make sure the folder is 'shared'.

You may need to setup the samba password ....type 'sudo smbpasswd -a yourname' in the terminal and follow through. If I remember how to negate this PW I'll add it in.

Ensure you have 'samba' & ' smbclient' installed...probably are in default sparky but check with Synaptic Package Manager also ' ntfs-3g' to read ntfs file systems and 'ntfs-config' to change ownership if in a ntfs partition..

The above should be sufficient to share between linux pc's and to access windows pc's if in the same workgroup. (workgroup not homegroup!!!!) ...enable sharing (without pass word) on W10.

The linux pc's just show up as another partition on the w9 if 'mapped' out and formatted in ntfs. Usually the movies are played with VLC .

For printers use 'CUPS' and http:localhost:631/

linuxNoob

Thanks you very much Wombat! I'm excited to give this a try, and I'll report back with my results.

linuxNoob

I updated thinking I had success. However it was just a derp moment. I had the flash drive with all the movies plugged in, found it on the desktop and claimed success a little too early lol. I am having some trouble figuring out how to run Leafpad as admin.

Wombat

QuoteI am having some trouble figuring out how to run Leafpad as admin

if you open a  terminal ,  on Sparly KDE it's Konsol, type in
sudo dolphin
dolphin being the preferred file manager for KDE will open as root and everything you do within until you close dolphin will be as root ... just click through to the config file  and open with leafpad. It will open with root/sudo privileges and be able to save.

There are quicker cli ways, however this will get you started

View the most recent posts on the forum