Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Converted from Linux Mint (Ubuntu based) to Sparky4.0

Started by rollinbeaver, August 02, 2015, 06:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollinbeaver

Hi folks,

so i'll do an introduction yet and write up what i remember from last Thursday's new Installation of Sparky Linux 4.0.AR8162

Hardware is a Toshiba Netbook NB510 with 1GB RAM, dual-core Cedartrail Atom N2600, integrated Intel graphics, Atheros AR8162 Ethernet, Realtek RTL8188CE b/g/n Wifi.

Before Sparky i had Linux Mint 17.1 XFCE4 on it, which ran reliably if somewhat slow with intensive usage, like Opera 12 with 30 Tabs open. System and programs sat on one partition, an encrypted home on another, swap on a third.

Sparky promised not only a Kernel 4.0 but also Enlightenment 19, also responsiveness with moderate ressources like my RAM. I was intrigued.

Installation went at first without a hitch. Though used to Ubuntu style installation being rather swift, i found myself somewhat annoyed by the sequential copying of single files from the installation medium, which seemed to take forever. About 45 minutes later, this was complete. After reboot, the first Sparky start also took rather long with several minutes, then the desktop login appeared.

Login did not work at first, however, since Sparky did nothing with my encrypted home. A workable solution was to:

• login in a virtual text console,
  • sudo adduser somename (whose home is unencrypted),
  • now login in X as that user,
  • make a network connection (in my case via the working Wifi),
  • open a terminal or get back to the virtual text console,
  • sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ecryptfs-utils,
  • reboot
  • login & profit. Also, remove that extra user again.

My preferred DE Enlightenment e19 and the ALX ethernet  still had problems, but were for now nonessential.
I started customizing LXDE and generally was a happy camper.
--
Regards,
-- rollinbeaver
--
best regards, ever rollinbeaver

rollinbeaver

Hi,

before i forget it:
Sparky4.0 is the first system i encountered where Hibernate (with a swap partition) really worked out-of-the-box.
Kudos!
--
Regards,
-- rollinbeaver
--
best regards, ever rollinbeaver

View the most recent posts on the forum