Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Debian just got promoted to second place.

Started by way12go, August 17, 2015, 04:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

way12go

;)

Every time I visit Distrowatch.com

I see

number one page hit ranking

goes to

1. Linuxmint

2. Ubuntu

3. Debian

Today

1. Linuxmint

2. Debian

3. Ubuntu

Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

perknh

I saw that too, way12go. 

That was great news!  :)

perknh 

seppalta

The ratings on Distrowatch are meaningless; to quote DW itself:  "Ratings correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. "   To even get on the list generally requires a long waiting period, OR paying DW money, $220 to be exact.  There are hundreds of distros just waiting to get on the list - one has been waiting since 2007.  I've tried a few of these "untouchables".  Some were in my opinion better than top rated ones on the list.  For a list of some waiting to get on because they choose not to pay the $220:   http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=submit.  Distrowatch should be considered a private enterprise to make money and is at best an incomplete collection of links to get further information about linux distributions.  To pretend that position on the list means anything is pure deception.

perknh

I'm certain you're right about this, seppalta.  But I'm still happy to know that Debian, if only for a moment, had surpassed Ubuntu on DistoWatch's charts.  I say this only if you've only had an Ubuntu forum experience that hasn't sat well with you.  Then, meaningless as DistroWatch's rating system really is, it's still a fun thing to read! ;)

I don't know exactly why, but the title of this thread make me very, very happy. :)

seppalta

I agree with you there - Ubuntu people are often rude and arrogant.   ;)

way12go

It's good news that Debian is good

and it's bad news that Sparkylinux is not famous enough

and it's even more bad news that linuxmint tops the chart,

I must say Sparkylinux forum support and

Sparkylinux apps make it a nearly perfect

linux distribution if not perfect linux OS.

I won Age Of Mythology Extended edition

and Age Of Empires 3 in a contest so

I am using Windows 10 now.

I still think that Sparkylinux days were simply, nothing short of awesomeness...
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

perknh

Quote from: way12go on October 04, 2015, 08:14:19 AM
It's good news that Debian is good and it's bad news that Sparkylinux is not famous enough...I must say Sparkylinux forum support and Sparkylinux apps make it a nearly perfect linux distribution...I still think that Sparkylinux days were simply, nothing short of awesomeness...

First of all, way12go, congratulations to you on becoming Global Moderator.  That is a major achievement. ;)

Right now I'm thinking that it may be a blessing is disguise that SparkyLinux hasn't become even more famous than it already is.  Besides being an amazing Debian-based Linux OS that supports many different DEs, the community bond and spirit within this forum is amazing too.  This kind of community spirit can get lost within the larger distributions. (Ubuntu's forums are excellent examples of how Linux forums can lose much of their sense of community.)

The truth is that coming to SparkyLinux's forum, and using SparkyLinux is fun.  Your choice of the word "awesomeness" is a great way to describe the experience.  8)

pavroo

Quotehis kind of community spirit can get lost within the larger distributions.
That's true... I found it many times.
QuoteBigger army, worst food
That's what I heard about the Roman army :)
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

seppalta

I recently received (It is a long story!) a hard drive containing Mint Cinnamon, the premier desktop of the long-time run-away number 1 distro on the famous list.  Of course, I couldn't resist trying it, and I was totally taken aback.  It was slow, applications were out-of-date, the availability of do-everything GUI's really added nothing that couldn't be done better by just editing a configuration text file, and the software manager sucked.  There is more inventiveness in Gobang, a distribution that cannot even get on the Distrowatch top 100 list.

The Distrowatch top 100 list is grossly misnamed and does a real disservice to Linux in general.  It is self-perpetuating;  of course, viewers, at least when they first go there, hit on the top 4 or 5.  Who would choose number 87 or number 37, or anything low, when a number 1 or 2 is equally available?   So the top ones are firmly  cemented in forever, and everyone else muddles around below with little chance of moving up.  Distrowatch could just be a positive service providing information and links if they didn't muddy things with a list which does nothing but mislead.

perknh

Hi seppalta,

Here's what DistroWatch says about itself:

QuoteThe DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more.

Source:

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

seppalta, we've been having a similar discussion over at Peppermint forum concerning the same subject.  PCNetSpec shared the above paragraph with me after I had mentioned that DistroWatch's ratings have to be taken with several grains of salt!  ;D

The disto I'm curious to look at will be Cuba's next Nova OS GNU/Linux release --which should be coming out shortly.  And they're currently ranked number 218 at DistroWatch! :o

http://news.softpedia.com/news/cuba-s-national-ubuntu-based-gnu-linux-os-to-get-a-gorgeous-lightweight-edition-491941.shtml

I'm wishing the poor Cubanos the best with their next Linux release. ;)

perknh

P.S.

Hello pavroo,

Quote"Bigger army, worst food"

That's what I heard about the Roman army :) --pavroo

That's a great saying, and I bet it's true too! ;D

perknh

View the most recent posts on the forum