Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Sparkylinux 4.0 X86-64 LXQT Not installing on AMD5600 and GeForce GT 610

Started by fidel, July 16, 2015, 03:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fidel

Decided to give SparkyLinux a try, looks okay so why not.  :) Trying to install it however on a dual core AMD5600 / GA-MA69VM-S2 / 8GB / 128GBSSD / >PCIe Nvidia GeForce GT610 however keeps failing. Standard installation looks okay at start but final screen - thats shows the desktop with the install icon - is screwed up. You see a screen kind of build up of big pixels. System also seems to be dead. Since this is not my first Linux installation I guessed it was due to the NOUVEAU driver in combination with my GeForce GT610 card.  :-\

When I 'modify' the first install option of the live CD by adding 'nouveau.blacklist=true vga=ask' and choosing the 'right' vga mode I get an 'install' screen. No mouse pointer is visible, but there. Screen flickers when doing something that has the screen updated. I can some times activate the menu at the left bottom corner, but the text of the menu items comes and goes when I go up and down the menu list. With some luck I can start the installer via the icon. It shows the install screens with partial content. I even succeed in partitioning the SSD but get stuck in the installation screen where I have to assign the mount point type of the partition. I can enter the '/' - or select /boot or /swap or ... - but I cannot get out of this window in such a way that the installer starts installing this distro. So here the installation stops. No spark  >:( for me!

Any ideas anyone how to get Sparky Linux installed on such a system?

pavroo

You have SSD disk. I never tried to install it on SSD and I do not know how the installer treats the disk.
If your machine works on BIOS (no UEFI) you can try to install using our old installer which is available in the Menu-> System-> Sparky (Old) Installer
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

fidel

Hello  Pavroo,  thanks for the fast reply.  I have some hard disks laying around here so I can do a test run with such a disk. Maybe it works ... who knows ...  ???

You're 'other' suggestion: ' ... try to install using our old installer which is available in the Menu -> ... ' I already found on the net. But that's difficult to do. I already mentioned that the screen driver is *** and I barely get a properly displayed text so I cannot see what I'm doing. So that's a NON option for me.

I can get a TTY screen where I can login. Maybe if I get the root password from you I could stop the desktop in this TTY screen. After this I would invoke you're suggested installer somehow from the command line.

Do you think this would this be possible?

pavroo

Hi
There is no reason for swearing, please.
The root password is empty (blank).

fidel

Hello Pavroo, sorry for the swearing .. bad habit .. try to break the habit ..

I think I might have a problem when I invoke a GUI in the root TTY. So I was thinking about an alternative way of  installation. When I look at the installation it boils down to a few questions and then the installer does it's trick. Is it possible to invoke this installer with parameters / configuration file? If this is possible I get the installation done and perhaps then get the correct NVIDIA driver installed.

As suggestion for the future development. Is a 'console' installer - like debian offers - an option? Looking for the net on this matter it shows that there are many people with installation issues that block them from doing a complete installation or starting an installation. So the possibility to 'pause' the installed system to have people 'adjust' their system with correct software would make some sense I guess.

pavroo

If you switch to console, use sudo to change to root:
sudo su
No password needed for that.
And there is text based option to install Sparky, for BIOS machines only:
sudo sparkylinux-installer

View the most recent posts on the forum