Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Problems with Sparky after Elem. OS dual boot install

Started by PNWDrew, July 05, 2015, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PNWDrew

Hi,
I recently decided to give elementaryOS a trial.  It installed alongside Sparky normally and I've been using it for a few days with no issues (It's an ok distro, pretty but not as featured as Sparky).  Tonight I decided to boot back into Sparky and ran into a few issues:

1st boot- Booted normally.  However Synaptic wouldn't open. When I tried in terminal I got weird errors and it would not accept password for sudo or su.  It gave me some errors about missing files; unfortunately I was distracted by beers and fireworks so didn't note them.  I assume there's a way to retrieve them if needed. I just decided to reboot.

2nd boot- It did not boot.  Instead I got an error. 
fsck from util-linux 2.26.2
/dev/sda1 contains a file system with errors, check forced
/dev/sda1: Inode 75462 has an invalid extent node (blk 8224768, 1blk0)
/dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck exited with status code 4
The root filesystem on /dev/sda1 reqiores a manual fsck
modprobe: module ehci-orion not found in modules.dep

BusyBox v1.22.1 built-in shell (ash)
/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
(initranfs)

Not understanding fsck and after a bit of googling I ran e2fsck.  Many more Inode problems found. Common ones were : HTREE directory Inode has an invalid root node and Inode is a zero-length directory.  I grew weary of pressing Y after a few thousand times but I could not return to a prompt from the running e2fsck.  Eventually I gave up and shut it down. I snapped a few pics of the list so can be more specific about the errors if needed.  There were at least 2000 Inode errors like the one above.

3rd boot- Same result as 2nd time.  This time I ran e2fsck -a and eventually it finished on its own.

4th boot- More onscreen text than usual but it did boot.  However I am still unable to open synaptic in terminal or GUI. I tried purging and installing, which went normally. However it still doesn't open. This is what I get.
drew@debian:~$ sudo synaptic

(synaptic:2736): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:2:19: Theming engine 'adwaita' not found
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Xapian::DatabaseCorruptError'
drew@debian:~$

Prior to all this I had upgraded to the new 4.0.0-2-amd64 kernel, went a few rounds with CUPS over my network printer issues and fought another losing battle with Pulse to get my speakers working. 
I can't imagine how but it would not surprise me if I did this somehow.

Drew

PNWDrew

Well I think I got it.  A few cups of coffee are much more conducive to problem solving than a few pints of beer; unless of course the primary cause of your problem is an excess of beer in your fridge.

I did some more googling and came across an old bug report with this same issue of "Xapian::DatabaseCorruptError".

sudo update-apt-xapian-index

That solved it.  It opens from desktop and terminal now, although it throws a bunch of warnings in terminal.  I'm unsure if the warnings are new as I don't think I ever opened Synaptic from terminal. They do not seem to be a problem that I need to address.

(synaptic:29045): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:2:19: Theming engine 'adwaita' not found

(synaptic:29045): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkImage:stock is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(synaptic:29045): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkMisc:yalign is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(synaptic:29045): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkImageMenuItem:use-stock is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(synaptic:29045): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkImageMenuItem:image is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(synaptic:29045): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkSettings:gtk-menu-images is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(synaptic:29045): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkToolButton:stock-id is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(synaptic:29045): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkButton:xalign is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(synaptic:29045): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkAlignment:right-padding is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(synaptic:29045): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkContainer:resize-mode is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(synaptic:29045): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkAlignment:bottom-padding is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(synaptic:29045): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkAlignment:left-padding is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version.

(synaptic:29045): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: The property GtkCellRendererText:background-gdk is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

I don't know what happened but I assume it was either during the kernel upgrade or the ElementaryOS install.  Either way Synaptic now opens normally. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next few reboots.
I just wanted to put the solution in writing in case others had similar problems.

Thanks
Drew

View the most recent posts on the forum