Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Return of my network printer problems :(

Started by PNWDrew, June 07, 2015, 09:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PNWDrew

My Canon MX410 network printer recently stopped printing.  I'm not sure when as I don't print often.  I did have trouble getting it working in the beginning.  Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what solved it but I recall that it was not complex and don't recall needing much more than the usual set up. I do have a driver for it I got somewhere. It looks that I downloaded it and a deb pkg of libtiff4 for some reason when I had problems initially. I don't recall downgrading to 4 before but I have both libtiff4 and libtiff5 according to synaptic. I did try to uninstall libtiff5 but I get a message to fix broken packages first.  I see no broken packages to fix so I'm probably misunderstanding the message.

CUPS sees the printer when I access through localhost/631 and I can ping it from terminal but nothing ever prints (even a test page).  I just installed elementaryOS on my gf's laptop and it set up  printing with no issues so I think the problem is my PC. The trouble shooter says it is not enabled and/or shared although according to settings GUI settings both are selected.

I see a variety of statuses when I try to print.  "Rendering Complete" is common, "Paused" also.    Print jobs just sit in queue pending. 
If I clear the queue, delete the printer and try to set back up it is the same. I've restarted CUPS with no results. 

Perhaps this will help: 
drew@debian:~$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: Canon-MX410
device for Canon-MX410: dnssd://Canon%20MX410%20series%20_0CE5AC000000._printer._tcp.local/
Canon-MX410 accepting requests since Sun 07 Jun 2015 10:26:24 AM PDT
printer Canon-MX410 now printing Canon-MX410-94.  enabled since Sun 07 Jun 2015 10:26:24 AM PDT
Unable to locate printer "0CE5AC000000.local".
Canon-MX410-94          drew              1024   Sun 07 Jun 2015 10:22:00 AM PDT

Thanks,
Drew

PNWDrew

So this definitely a problem with Sparky.  Hardware is fine.
I'm currently dual booting ElementaryOS and Sparky on this PC; partially to see if I can print at all from this PC..  The EOS installation sees the printer and prints normally.  Sparky sees it but will print nothing. 
I've deleted and re-added the printer many times, cleared queues, restarted CUPS, etc... to no avail.

From CUPS:

Canon-MX410-series_2C-9E-FC-0C-E5-AC (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Shared, Server Default)
Description: Canon MX410 series
Driver: Canon PIXMA MX410 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: dnssd://Canon%20MX410%20series%20_0CE5AC000000._printer._tcp.local/
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

Canon-MX410-series_2C-9E-FC-0C-E5-AC-119 Unknown Withheld 1k Unknown pending since
Sun 05 Jul 2015 10:57:11 AM PDT

an earlier attempt, different status

Canon-MX410-series_2C-9E-FC-0C-E5-AC-111 Unknown Withheld 1k 2 processing since
Sun 05 Jul 2015 10:28:51 AM PDT
"Unable to locate printer "0CE5AC000000.local"."

I don't know why the name is "Unknown" and the user field says "Withheld", perhaps that is part of the issue?

There are online references to needing outdated libtiff4 to use the Canon driver.  I'm on libtiff5 and I don't know if I can go back.  However the printer installed with no intervention on all 3 ElementaryOS installations (this PC and 2 older laptops) in the house so I'm not sure what to do.  Any help will be appreciated.  I need printing from my main PC sometimes; emailing the docs to myself to print from ElementaryOS installation is a temporary workaround but is a nuisance.

Help!
Drew

View the most recent posts on the forum