Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Problem after system upgrade

Started by tuqueque, June 28, 2015, 09:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuqueque

Hi. This may be a long post, so please, bear with me.

I moved from Windows to Linux in august last year. My first and only experience with Linux comes from Ubuntu, so I consider myself a newbie still.

I wasn't happy with Ubuntu, especially with the resource-heavy Unity crap and the non-rolling model of the distro... and I found out about Sparky, which seems to be the perfect fit for me. It's a rolling release, is based on Debian unstable, it comes with a great variety of lightweight environments to try and it balances very well the ease of use and the advanced settings for the more savvy users.

Yesterday I installed Sparky 4.0 LXQt 64-bit version and after installing it, all seemed perfect... Then, I upgraded the system through the system upgrade option in Sparky, but after reboot, the system didn't start, The screen just went dark and the monitor didn't even get any signal and went into stand by after a while... After a couple of tries, I reinstalled Sparky from scratch again, now I just updated the kernel with the Liquorix option from the Sparky APTus (4.0.0-6) and everything went OK after reboot... Then, I updated the package list from the Sparky APTus option and still, everything worked fine after reboot... Now, I  upgraded the system with the "Safely upgrade the system" option from Sparky APTus and again, the system doesn't reboot and I get the blank, black screen.

Currently I'm in Safe/Recovery (or whatever-the-name is) and I've tried some lame "sudo apt-get upgrade", "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" commands in the terminal, 'cause that's pretty much the things I know to use in the terminal...

My question is (obviously)... What can I do to solve my problem and keep using Sparky, I really like the distro, but I'm kinda stuck... If you have any suggestion, please, be wide with explanations and procedures, You will be safer assuming I'm a complete newbie, but I'm not afraid of trying things.

My computer is an old, but quite good system... Asus P5E3 Deluxe @WiFi motherboard, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, an old Q9550 Intel quad-core processor (overclocked to 3.0 Ghz), two Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti  2GB video cards, and the system is installed in a 150GB HDD.

I don't know what other info you may need, but any feedback will be welcome.
THANKS!

way12go

Sparkylinux is Debian Testing based distro.

Your old system is more advanced than my new system.

Old is old but not technologically old enough.

After installing Sparky LxQT 64 bit

you can do this

Quotesudo apt-get update

To install Kernel you can do this

Quotesudo leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list

Quoteand uncomment

deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main

Quotesudo apt-get install liquorix-keyring

Quotesudo apt-get install linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64

QuoteDownload this

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/all/upgrade-system/download

and install it using right click gdebi

Then update system with

Quotesudo upgrade-system

Now restart and check if problem solved.

sudo upgrade-system is better
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

MoroS

It might be the Debian kernel (new distro-specific kernel releases sometimes cause problems). After releasing the Debian 4.x kernel Liquorix is being pushed down on the kernel list and Debian's kernel gets set as default. That wasn't the case when Debian had a 3.x kernel (grub-mkconfig sorts the kernels alphabetically).

What you can do is to try using the Liquorix kernel from the GRUB advanced settings entry (second entry by default, just beneath Sparky's main boot option), which will let you choose the kernel to boot. Try choosing your installed Liquorix kernel and see if it boots.
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

way12go

I had this problem earlier

Quotehttp://sparkylinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,3151.0.html

on both of my desktop and laptop and I posted the problem here on this forum seeking help and later I tried to

sudo pcmanfm

and went to /boot directory and deleted the debian kernel and kept the liquorix kernel

and

sudo update-grub

and problem solved.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

MoroS

Quote from: way12go on June 28, 2015, 11:33:13 AM
...and went to /boot directory and deleted the debian kernel and kept the liquorix kernel

That might potentially get you into trouble on Debian kernel updates (or remove/autoremove) via APT. All depends on how the APT update scripts are written, but they might potentially fail if they don't find the right file to remove. They should not, but it's always a risk, so keep that in mind when a kernel update/removal via APT or APTus fails.

tuqueque

@way12go

I'll go point by point on my results:

Quotesudo apt-get update
Done.

Quotesudo leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list
and uncomment: deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main
It was already uncommented... I'm guessing it had to do with the previous upgrades I did to the system.

Quotesudo apt-get install liquorix-keyring
Done... but if I remember correctly, it said something like it was already there.

Quotesudo apt-get install linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64
Same as above, It said that the latest kernel (4.0-6) was already installed.

QuoteDownload: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/all/upgrade-system/download and install it using right click gdebi
Done,

Quotesudo upgrade-system
Done... It removed a lot of stuff and installed some other things.

QuoteNow restart and check if problem solved.
Unfortunately, no luck... I still get nothing when the system is supposed to start.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@MoroS

I already tried that before writing on the forum and I did it again after way12go suggestions with no luck...

Now, I may be wrong, but let me venture here with some ideas.

My system worked fine when I first intalled it and it kept working when I just updated the kernel to the latest Liquorix version... So, the kernel doesn't seem to be the problem (right?)... The problem appeared when I updated the rest of the system, so it may be something with some libraries, drivers or something like that... Now, remember I have a couple of fancy video cards... What if I try installing newer Nvidia drivers?

Can you tell me how to do that in Sparky?... I'd like to install proprietary drivers, because I use Blender (a 3D application) and it uses CUDA libraries to render images with the GPUs on my system... And CUDA stuff only come with the proprietary drivers (AFAIK).

Thank you in advance.

MoroS

Maybe it's the infamous KMS issue (argghh... again?!)? Depending on your hardware configuration try adding "nouveau.modeset=0" or "i915.modeset=0" (on Optimus Intel+nVidia configurations) to the kernel command line parameters (press 'e' in GRUB, find the line starting with "linux " and add it to the end). Eventually you can try a broader parameter like "nomodeset", but it can affect how Xorg works (or doesn't).

tuqueque

Guys, I have to say: I'm sorry, but I gave up with Sparky shortly after my last comment here... I want to make my short experience with it as productive as possible, so if any of you want to keep reading, I'll put my 2 cents on trying to convey the problems I faced with Sparky in an attempt to draw some attention to some places that could get some improvements... I will also take the liberty to describe some of the problems I faced with my previous distro (Ubuntu), my current distro (Lubuntu) and with Linux in general.

See, I'm a graphic designer, I use several graphic applications and 95% of what I use is Blender ( www.blender.org ). I consider myself a professional 3D artist (in case you are curious about my work), so, as you can imagine, I need a system that is highly responsive, VERY light on resources, non intrusive and last but not least, friendly enough and easy to set up... Plus, I'm 31, but I use computers since I was about 10, so I've grown a list of preferences in software that helps me work faster and more comfortable. So, being able to accommodate the OS' Graphical Interface and easily install the software I decide is rather critical.

I got some bad experiences with Ubuntu with the heavy graphical interface that is Unity, and I wasn't very happy with the idea of major (and to some extend), risky updates to the system every 6 months (or face being left behind with the new stuff)... I started my journey from Windows to Linux in August last year with 14.04 (Trusty Tahr), then, upgraded the system to 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn), but had some minor problems after updating and when it came in last April 15.04 (Vivid Vervet) and the system refused to upgrade throwing some problems... I looked for another distro to try and found Sparky, which seemed the perfect fit for me... Debian based, rolling distro, and a lot of light desktop environments to try...

About sparky... I installed it and I was immediately happy with how fast that was! In about 15 minutes the system was ready and booting!... I tried LXQt, 'cause it was the lightest flavor at the time (base editions weren't out last week... I was interested in JWM). I was still delighted by how clean, beautiful, fast and light on resources LXQt was... Then, the nightmare begun when I updated/upgraded the system...

During the whole day and a half I was trying to get the system working, I reinstalled Sparky from scratch at least 2 more times and got to use and test a couple of things... The first weird problem/hiccup I encountered was with my other hard drive. Sometimes it mounted correctly, some other times, it refused to mount!... I don't know what was going on there, I didn't use enough Sparky to know what was going on, but it was a major pain 'cause in that drive I have all my stuff, so those times the drive refused to mount, I was left in the desert with a barely working computer...

Next, I'm the first to admit that I'm being plain stupid here, but I thought that Sparky (and for that matter, any Debian-based distro) was compatible with Ubuntu's PPA system the exact same way it is with Ubuntu... Is just after this experience that I find that PPA system is exclusive to Ubuntu... Although doing some minor search, it seems that with Debian 7 (wheezy) and later, you can use almost the same command to add PPAs... So, if my little research is right, that's cool then. (If not, I can't imagine why a distro wouldn't include support for such a great thing for users like PPAs).

Now, I'll just assume a couple of things in this paragraph, but I couldn't find anywhere how to easily install graphic drivers in Sparky... I mean, with *buntu is as easy as Preferences > Additional Drivers... And that's it, It shows me a list of available Nvidia drivers to install, from the Nuveau to the proprietary ones... Is absolutely essential for me to install these, 'cause I use my video cards GPUs to do 3D rendering though Nvidia's CUDA... I can only imagine the technical pain it would be to get this working on Sparky... Maybe, some additions to Sparky APTus system to modify video drivers would be perfect!

Finally, my experience with Linux in general it has been mixed... One of the best things I've found in Linux is that PPA system, that's pure gold for us, the users; another thing is of course the variety of options to try and the general lighter-on-system-resources-than-Windows thing. I was an advanced user with Windows and I almost never had problems with viruses or crapware, but with Linux, I truly forgot about it and my system is always free of crap!... Now, the bad stuff... I can deal with the fewer options in software, I can deal with occasional, short commands on the Terminal, but I cannot deal with the ridiculous lack of graphical interfaces for the most mundane things!... Yesterday I had to deal for 2 hours to get my 4 button mouse working correctly (let's blame Microsoft for not releasing it's mouse's drivers to Linux)... But I also had to dig for one hour on Internet trying to find how to add custom application launchers on LXDE's Application Launch Bar, how to change a default OS keyboard shortcut that was interfering with Blender and in both cases, I had to change some freaking .conf files buried somewhere in the system... COME ON, Linux! COME ON!... And sadly, Sparky is a victim of all these problems too.

It's absolutely unacceptable to lose +3 hours in one Sunday (the only day I can rest a little) to deal with such mundane things in a system that should be accessible through simple GUI tools!

It was getting too frustrating to get the Sparky system going and I was just starting with it... It wasn't even that I did something wrong, it was just that this distro is not working for me, at least at this point. I'd still love to use it in the future, maybe in a year, with another iteration of improvements and usability, usability, USABILITY tools... I admit that I'm not an average user, I'm a bad mix of not-very-linux-savvy, and my needs as an user are rather demanding/advanced... But users like me exist! and believe me, I'd LOVE to recommend Linux/Sparky to my friends if at least these problems I mentioned were solved... but right now, I'm the only one of my +100 friends and acquaintances that uses Linux.

Lastly, I reiterate my will to try Sparky in the mid future... Maybe by the end of the year, even!... I just would like to see some of these annoyances solved somehow...

Again, thank you for your time and will to help.

P.S.: I'll keep an eye here in case this opens up to a discussion/conversation and I'll keep visiting Sparky forums to see the evolution and improvements achieved until my next try!

johnh009

I'm having trouble with this upgrade as follows:

Attempting to upgrade to the 'liquorix' kernel via the utility in SparkyAPTus appears to work correctly - a message is displayed saying that everything has worked - but after rebooting the command 'unama -a' shows that the same kernel is still installed:

john@sparky ~ % uname -a                             
Linux sparky 3.16-3-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.16.5-1 (2014-10-10) i686 GNU/Linux

Following the instructions above, installing the keyring fails:

john@sparky ~ % sudo apt-get install liquorix-keyring
[sudo] password for john:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  liquorix-archive-keyring
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  liquorix-archive-keyring liquorix-keyring
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 7,030 B of archives.
After this operation, 81.9 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  liquorix-archive-keyring liquorix-keyring
Install these packages without verification? [y/N] y
Get:1 http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid/main liquorix-archive-keyring all 2009.05.25 [2,744 B]
Get:2 http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid/main liquorix-keyring all 2009.05.25 [4,286 B]
Fetched 7,030 B in 1s (5,187 B/s)         
Selecting previously unselected package liquorix-archive-keyring.
(Reading database ... 200756 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../liquorix-archive-keyring_2009.05.25_all.deb ...
Unpacking liquorix-archive-keyring (2009.05.25) ...
Selecting previously unselected package liquorix-keyring.
Preparing to unpack .../liquorix-keyring_2009.05.25_all.deb ...
Unpacking liquorix-keyring (2009.05.25) ...
Setting up liquorix-archive-keyring (2009.05.25) ...
Setting up liquorix-keyring (2009.05.25) ...
OK

While it appears that the packages have been installed, attempting to update the package lists produces:

W: GPG error: http://deb.opera.com stable InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1435908620 KEYEXPIRED 1435908620 KEYEXPIRED 1435908620 The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 63F7D4AFF6D61D45
W: GPG error: http://qgis.org jessie InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 030561BEDD45F6C3

Any pointers as to what needs to be done would be greatly appreciated.

seppalta

I sympathize with Tuqueque, but disagree with his solution.  I have found that the more complicated a system gets with Gui's, generally the harder it is to adapt to your needs and the more there is to go wrong.  I always start with a basic Openbox install, and then develop it application by application, driver by driver, until I have "my system".   The first time takes awhile, but I save files, folders, pipemenus - whatever is modular - and then use them to build future installs.  I also record a "recipe" to save my memory (http://lxlinux.com) .  My ideal is text configuration files with useage guidelines.  They are far superior to Gui's with a few boxes to check to obtain a few ends among which generally is not what you really want.

Also, I tried Sparky LXQT early on, and it was a mess.  On the other hand, Sparky Base Openbox has always been super.  Perhaps Tuqueque should start with the Openbox Base.

way12go

Quote from: seppalta on July 03, 2015, 09:13:51 PM
I sympathize with Tuqueque, but disagree with his solution.  I have found that the more complicated a system gets with Gui's, generally the harder it is to adapt to your needs and the more there is to go wrong.  I always start with a basic Openbox install, and then develop it application by application, driver by driver, until I have "my system".   The first time takes awhile, but I save files, folders, pipemenus - whatever is modular - and then use them to build future installs.  I also record a "recipe" to save my memory (http://lxlinux.com) .  My ideal is text configuration files with useage guidelines.  They are far superior to Gui's with a few boxes to check to obtain a few ends among which generally is not what you really want.

Also, I tried Sparky LXQT early on, and it was a mess.  On the other hand, Sparky Base Openbox has always been super.  Perhaps Tuqueque should start with the Openbox Base.

I wish I had the ability you posses, then and then only can I do, what you have achieved.

tacosdebirria

So yes, hi, hello.

@pavroo this seems to be the same problem i had a couple of weeks ago with my OS
http://sparkylinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,3091.0.html except for the fact that doing the same doesn't fix the issue.

So, now knowing this i decided to install Sparky linux LXqt on my PC and in other computers just to see what was going on (and also because i left my other installation too unstable and i needed a new OS :P).
And the same thing as with OP ( @tuqueque ) happened: The system did not started properly and it kept showing a black screen with a blinking underscore.
I tried deleting the kernel, installing new versions of it, doing the same thing i did the last time this happened, but nothing fixed the issue.
So i decided to uninstall the OS and reinstall it again. And after i was in the new system the first thing i tried to do was to see what packages where going to be updated.
I decided to only update some packages, leaving others untouched, here are the lists:

Things that where updated/installed:
[spoiler] alsa-utils binutils console-setup console-setup-linux cpp-4.8 cpp-4.9 curl ddm debhelper dh-python dictionaries-common dnsmasq-base exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light ffmpeg fonts-opensymbol fuse g++-4.9 gcc-4.8 gcc-4.8-base gcc-4.9 gcc-4.9-base gcc-5-base gir1.2-clutter-1.0 gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-3.0 gir1.2-polkit-1.0 gir1.2-webkit-3.0 gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-themes-standard gnome-themes-standard-data gnupg-agent gnupg2 grep  iamerican ibritish iceweasel ienglish-common info install-info installation-report iproute iproute2 iso-codes ispell keyboard-configuration krb5-locales libarchive-zip-perl libasan0 libasan1 libasound2 libasound2-data libatomic1 libavcodec56 libavdevice56 libavfilter5 libavformat56 libavresample2 libavutil54 libboost-date-time1.55.0 libboost-iostreams1.54.0 libboost-iostreams1.55.0 libboost-regex1.55.0 libboost-system1.55.0 libcgi-pm-perl libcilkrts5 libclutter-1.0-0 libclutter-1.0-common libcpan-meta-perl libcupsfilters1 libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls libdjvulibre-text libdjvulibre21 libdlrestrictions1 libemail-valid-perl libetonyek-0.1-1 libevdev2 libfile-desktopentry-perl libfile-mimeinfo-perl libfontembed1 libfuse2 libgbm1 libgcc-4.8-dev libgcc-4.9-dev libgcc1 libgd3 libgee-0.8-2 libgfortran3 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglapi-mesa libgles2-mesa libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-bin libglib2.0-data libgomp1 libgpgme11 libgssapi-krb5-2 libgudev-1.0-0 libharfbuzz-icu0 libharfbuzz0b libitm1 libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 libk5crypto3 libkf5guiaddons5 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0  liblist-moreutils-perl libmodplug1 libmpfr4 libmysqlclient18 libnet-ssleay-perl libnss3 libopts25 liborc-0.4-0 libpam-gnome-keyring libpcre3 libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-backend-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 libpolkit-qt-1-1 libpostproc53 libpython2.7 libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib libpython3-stdlib libqt5concurrent5 libqt5x11extras5 libquadmath0  libstdc++-4.9-dev libstdc++6 libswresample1 libswscale3 libsysstat-qt5-0 libubsan0 libudev1 libudisks2-0 libustr-1.0-1 libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 libwebkitgtk-1.0-common libwebkitgtk-3.0-common libwww-perl libwxbase3.0-0 libwxgtk3.0-0 libxatracker2 libxml2 libxml2-utils libxvidcore4 libzvbi-common libzvbi0  mysql-common openjdk-7-jre openjdk-7-jre-headless pcmanfm-qt5 policykit-1 python-apt python-apt-common python-gi python-gobject python-libxml2 python2.7 python2.7-minimal python3 python3-apt python3-gi python3-minimal qtchooser qterminal-qt5 qttranslations5-l10n rsyslog sparky-apt sparky-editor sparky-wine systemd-sysv texinfo udev udisks2 uno-libs3 ure usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data  w3m wget xfburn 

I also installed other things without any problems: The multimedia codecs
Audacious
Pidgin
I updated libreOffice without problems
Java 8
Slimjet
Steam
Jdownloader
FBreader
[/spoiler]

Things that where not updated:
[spoiler]  xserver-common xserver-xorg-core

lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter lintian lxqt-about lxqt-about-qt5 lxqt-admin lxqt-admin-qt5 lxqt-common lxqt-common-qt5 lxqt-config-qt5 lxqt-globalkeys-qt5 lxqt-notificationd-qt5 lxqt-openssh-askpass lxqt-openssh-askpass-qt5 lxqt-policykit lxqt-policykit-qt5 lxqt-powermanagement-qt5 lxqt-qtplugin-qt5 lxqt-runner-qt5 lxqt-session-qt5 mesa-vdpau-drivers liblightdm-gobject-1-0 liblxqt-globalkeys-ui0 liblxqt-globalkeys0

va-driver-all cups-browsed cups-filters cups-filters-core-drivers i965-va-driver

libdrm-intel1 libdrm-nouveau2 libdrm-radeon1 libdrm2 libegl1-mesa

libva-drm1 libva-x11-1 libva1 libvpx2 libwayland-egl1-mesa

apache2 lighttpd httpd libdiscid0-dbg libgda-5.0-bin libgda-5.0-mysql libgda-5.0-postgres libgmlib1-dbg libgmtk1-dbg mplayer-doc nvidia-vdpau-driver
[/spoiler]

And after doing this i rebooted the computer and everything was working properly.
(I also have to add that the  first time i started the computer i installed a new kernel [not that new: linux-image-3.16.0.4-586], just in the case something died again [It helped me before, so i was thinking it may help me again this time...] but nothing, thankfully, happened.)
So, uh, something inside the things i did not upgraded is what is causing this whole problem.
I'm pretty sure it's something about the display drivers:
Nvidia, Xorg, Vdpau or lightdm.

OP, if you want to come back to Sparky and you still want to use LXQT you can just update the same things i did and leave the rest of the stuff untouched. It's not even a solution but it will let you use the system without any problems (i haven't found any issues, unless not being able to install wine is an issue >:( )

And to all the mods and admins, any idea of how to fix this problem?

Cheers

seppalta

Variety and choice are generally a good thing, but I think many Linux users would have a much better experience if they opted for the simple, stable systems rather than the big, clumsy, slow and often unstable systems (Microsoft systems being the ultimate in this regard).  There is nothing preventing a user from taking a system like Sparky Openbox-base and building a gross application system.  I'm quite guilty of the latter.  I just distro-upgraded my super-stable Sparky Openbox base to the kernel 4.0.0-2 level, so far without even a burp.    This system includes 64-bit wine, oracle-java JRE, 68 applications of a java, wine, non-install-linux type and about 30 Linux apps not in the original package.  If I discover an application that looks useful, I try to install it.  If successful, I incorporate it into my group and usually forget about it.  If unsuccessful, I remove the remnants and forget about it.  I do not see how having KDE, LXQT, or whatever, changes or improves upon this, except to offer more computer garbage to screw up because it isn't compatible with my latest installation.  The following desktop image shows my /usr/local/bin/, which includes the launchers for the 68 apps, the wine category open in the dynamical uxdg-menu, my nontrivial openbox root menu and an open Oracle-java Control Center:

tacosdebirria

So i got something more about the problem OP had.

Updating/changing things related to nvidia (installing or changing noveau and/or nvidia-kernel) or xorg, is what breaks the system.
I installed nvidia drivers, noveau and other packages that where related to the last two, and after rebooting the system i wasn't able to even get a log screen: A black screen with a blinking underscore.

And well, as i said before, this problem seemed similar to something i have already had dealt with, and, in fact, it is the same: i had another kernel installed 3.16.0-4, and that kernel was working while the newest (4.0.0-2) did not (the same happened the last time).
@pavroo said in my other thread that it could be something related to a driver, and it was related to the drivers that where installed.

A couple of things that can help you fix/avoid the issue:
1.- Before you even upgrade the system, install an older kernel (this one does the trick 3.16.0-4).
2.- Don't even upgrade the packages listed in my other post in this thread (the ones i said i didn't wanted to upgrade). So that means don't upgrade your system, update only what you use (Libreoffice, banshee, vlc, etc...)
3.- Wait a couple of days until new kernel versions or driver updates come out before you decide to upgrade.
4.-If you still want to upgrade the system right now go ahead and do so, but if the system dies again (it will at the moment), you can log in to the computer using the 3.16.x.x kernel and from there, follow the next steps: uninstall the 4.0.x.x kernel, reboot, install the kernel again, reboot and see if it works now.
If that doesn't fix the issue, keep using the 3.16.x.x kernel until new updates arrive; and, if it's the same case as mine, after new kernel updates show up, uninstall the kernel 4.x.x.x you have and proceed to install the new one; in the case that still doesn't fix the issue, you are going to have to wait until new updates for the drivers come around and then proceed to install them (if you want you can check if the system now works, if it does works you don't have to read the next,) uninstall the 4.x.x.x  kernel, install it again and check if there aren't any other updates on the system, reboot and see if you can login using the newest kernel.

So right now i'm stuck at my 4° step. I can't use my 4.0.x.x kernel but i can use my 3.16.x.x kernel. I'm gonna wait for new updates to come around, and if for the next week this issue doesn't get a solution, sadly, i will have to go for another distro. (Hey!, at least i'm gonna keep living the linux experience.)

Quote from: seppalta on July 05, 2015, 04:12:31 AM
Variety and choice are generally a good thing, but I think many Linux users would have a much better experience if they opted for the simple, stable systems rather than the big, clumsy, slow and often unstable systems (Microsoft systems being the ultimate in this regard).  There is nothing preventing a user from taking a system like Sparky Openbox-base and building a gross application system.  I'm quite guilty of the latter.  I just distro-upgraded my super-stable Sparky Openbox base to the kernel 4.0.0-2 level, so far without even a burp.    This system includes 64-bit wine, oracle-java JRE, 68 applications of a java, wine, non-install-linux type and about 30 Linux apps not in the original package.  If I discover an application that looks useful, I try to install it.  If successful, I incorporate it into my group and usually forget about it.  If unsuccessful, I remove the remnants and forget about it.  I do not see how having KDE, LXQT, or whatever, changes or improves upon this, except to offer more computer garbage to screw up because it isn't compatible with my latest installation.  The following desktop image shows my /usr/local/bin/, which includes the launchers for the 68 apps, the wine category open in the dynamical uxdg-menu, my nontrivial openbox root menu and an open Oracle-java Control Center:

It's a good option doing this for people who has the time, who has the knowledge, and who doesn't likes what comes in the default distros. OP said he doesn't have the knowledge, neither the time, and since he didn't got a full linux experience he can't be sure if he likes some apps or not.
I, myself, i don't have the time (maybe i do considering i spent 3 days installing 6 other distros...), i don't have the kwnoledge (or i am too lazy), and, even if i know what i like and i install the same apps all the time, sometimes the apps that come installed on the distros are interesting and show me new features.

So, yeah, anyway, OP, if you are still interested on getting a new linux based OS you can send me a mail to tacosdebirri[at]hotmail[dot]com

Cheers.

View the most recent posts on the forum