Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

How to enable multicore?

Started by GaryB, May 28, 2015, 06:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryB

I had to put the nolapic command in to overcome boot freezing, I had no idea that it was disabling my extra cores, so I replaced nolapic with "noapic pci=assign-busses apicmaintimer idle=poll reboot=cold,hard". I now have 4 cores running.

Thanks everybody for your help.

I'm so happy to have found Sparky Linux.

MoroS

Those boot freezes are probably KMS-related. What helped me with that god-damned-kms-bull**it (sorry, just too much emotions when thinking about how many hardware platforms I had, that worked flawlessly with KMS... 0 out of 5... :'( ), was a kernel exchange. I've dumped the Debian kernel in favour of Liquorix. You might want to try this. I've been running without any freezes (and without any additional kernel parameters) for almost half a year now. ;) You might also try removing those parameters when Debian's 4.0 kernel hits Testing.
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

GaryB

What is the Liqouix kernal, there are NON_PAE, PAE, & 64?

pavroo

Non-PAE and PAE are to 32 bit systems only.
Non-PAE supports 1 core CPU and RAM memory up to 4 GB.
PAE supports more.

64 bit kernel is... for 64 bit systems.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

GaryB

If it causes problems how would I go back?

pavroo

If you will install Liquorix kernel, it be available via Grub list on boot start list.
If any problem, reboot and boot your system using older kernel still available on the list.

way12go

Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

GaryB

I added the Liqouix kernal, what command would I issue to see what kernal I'm running? Does the Sparky Linux Game Over use this kernal or must it be added?

pavroo

All sparky spins use Debian's kernel as default.
If you'd like to use Liquorix kernel you have to install it whatever sparky edition you have.

To check it out, run:
uname -a
or Sparky About tool if you have it installed.

View the most recent posts on the forum