Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

My test of Sparky3.4 _ 64bit on UEFI

Started by wayne, July 04, 2014, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoroS

There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

wayne

Hi MoroS,

Thanks for the test2 iso.

Downloaded iso.
Made two USB flash drives.
USB-1. from Linux OS using dd method.
USB-2. from Win7 using 'dd' via a program, Win32DiskImager

Test results, with USB-1.
1. On Asus laptop, which is the same one on this threads.

Boot appear with both UEFI:SanDisk and SanDisk...  :)
Live runs fine.
Installed onto hard disk. Tested OK...
at least it boots up and run OK in UEFI mode, as this Asus already have several UEFI capable Linux iso and Win7_64bit, I also took a look at the grub menu after boot, and test them once at a time, ALL distros can boot  :) :)

The only exception is, there is no grub menu selection on Win7 entry... something seems to be missing,,,
Reboot , run Sparky openbox test2, at root, update-grub pick up Win7 entry, reboot, select Win7, and win7 boot up  :) :) :)

So besides this little thing of missing Win7 entry, the rest seems to work.

Check fdisk/ gdisk, now all is similar to what was expected.

One more thing, I did not point out in previous posts in this thread:
If I take a look at the USB flash, in Windows OS, file manager or explorer will see the  efi folder which has boot and the files.

2. Now, I am going to make a summary of what other things I tested and their results

With USB-1
Second computer, HP desktop,
yes, both EFI: ScanDisk and Legacy: ScanDisk appear on boot menu.

Boot select on EFI:ScanDisk, yes, it boots and runs Live well.
Boot select on Legacy:ScanDisk, aka bios-mode, yes, it boots and runs live well.

With USB-2, which is 'dd' with Win32DiskImager
Same results, two modes available, EFI:ScanDisk and ScanDisk, both boot OK and run OK  :) :)

3. Just to test a little further to be sure both USBs are able to boot into non-uefi computers

Test two older, msdos/legacy/bios firmware laptops.
Both USB-1 and USB-2 can boot both computers and run live well   :)

All in all,I am very happy about this test2.iso.

Congratulation on  getting this resolved.

I hope this can be carried forward to current release with newer isos or even a respin on most recent ones that was supposed to be UEFI-enable.

pavroo

The problem was with the missing '-u' option for isohybride  >:(
Now I can confirm that everything is OK - it's my test3 iso:

fdisk -l /dev/sdb:
/dev/sdb1   *           0     1390591      695296    0  Brak
/dev/sdb2            1276        5819        2272   ef  EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

gdisk -l /dev/sdb:
Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   2            1276            5819   2.2 MiB     EF00  EFI System
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

pavroo

@wayne
QuoteI hope this can be carried forward to current release with newer isos or even a respin on most recent ones that was supposed to be UEFI-enable.
I am sending the new 64 bit iso images out now.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

Lizbeth

Ok, this is an old topic but it seemed like the place to go to.  Supporting linux manufacturers and financed a meerkat from system76.  I'm not used to using uefi stuff.

so trying to install sparky64 openbox 4.0 rc2 something.

i need a / partition for root and a partition for /boot/efi and they can both be the same partition?

system 76 only had one partition with ubuntu as / and one as swap on their installation.

how to get around this?

MoroS

Quote from: Lizbeth on May 07, 2015, 02:52:54 AM
Ok, this is an old topic but it seemed like the place to go to.  Supporting linux manufacturers and financed a meerkat from system76.  I'm not used to using uefi stuff.

so trying to install sparky64 openbox 4.0 rc2 something.

i need a / partition for root and a partition for /boot/efi and they can both be the same partition?

system 76 only had one partition with ubuntu as / and one as swap on their installation.

how to get around this?

EFI requires a service partition to store start-up (boot) applications (basically the same thing as the boot sector for BIOS but without a 512B size limitation and you get to store app files and not a 512B machine code fragment). It's usually the first partition of at least 100MB-200MB of size, formatted as FAT32 and marked bootable. It's that partition, that's mounted in Linux under /boot/efi. As for other partitions it's your call: you can have a single root (/) partition (with or without a swap file, depending on RAM amount), root+swap, root+boot+swap, etc.
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

View the most recent posts on the forum