Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[Solved] Debian menu disappeared in LXDE

Started by cynclida, March 22, 2015, 01:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cynclida

Some days ago, Debian menu disappeared from lxde menu and also applications menu in pcmanfm. It happend at first reboot after the system upgrade which installed the new lxmenu-data package. It is no more available for my user and for root as well. It is still available in the root menu (right click menu) when I start an openbox-session instead of lxde from login screen.

Please could somebody give me advice what to do to fix this and to get back the debian menu.

pavroo

It's my fault.
I have cleaned up the menu due to asking me by some users.

Now i am not sure it was a good idea so I will remove my lxmenu-data package from sparky repos so you can upgrade/downgrade the package to Debian version to get the functionality back.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

cynclida

Thanks for your fast reply.

If other users prefer the menu the way it is now, so the best solution would be an optional package, so that every user can choose.

I hope downgrading to debian version of lxmenu-data will solve the probem. I hope the functionality will come back. Are there many configuration files that have to be changed?

pavroo

No, only a one provided by the package.
If after downgrading and rebooting/re-loging still no changes, remove (or move to backup/rename) cached dir:
~HOME/.cache/menus
then re-login again.

cynclida

Thanks a lot!

Installing lxmenu-data_0.1.4-1_all.deb from debian jessie (testing) repo worked! My Debian menu is finally back!

Thank you really very much! It is really great how quick you react to every single user's problems with a real solution.

pavroo

cynclida

One last question: I have seen that menu-xdg folders have been created in my ~/.local/share/applications/ and ~/.local/share/desktop-directories/ with copies of the .desktop entries from /var/lib/menu-xdg/. At the moment I have just moved them to another place (so that I can move them back if needed), but everything still works, so it seems that I can remove them. Please is it safe to remove them for cleaning up?

pavroo

Probably yes, I never tried.
If it still works it means that everything is ok.

cynclida

Ok, I will still wait and permanently delete the copies if no problems occur in the next days. Thank you.

View the most recent posts on the forum