Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

boot problem from USB flashdrive after update - newbie question

Started by Matsudaira, March 19, 2015, 07:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matsudaira

I have installed Sparky on my ultrabook Samsung NP900X3C on 64GB USB pendrive, as a regular installation (NOT LIVE). I have used graphic installer using practicality default settings except that I have  indicated the USB pendrive to install grub on it (as a drive, not any partition). The installation went smooth and without any problems. After rebooting the grub window appeared on the screen and the system booted (and each time after). As I could recognize most devices have been recognized, e.g., WIFI, Bluetooth, Pad, Special Fn keys, Sound.

Then I have updated the system using the tool "system update". As I could see, the system has updated without any problem. From that time the system does not boot at all. After bios check at starup of the laptop, the booting process stops with the screen wherein there is the bar bios check 100%. The process does not go further to load grub.

How can I restore or reinstall grub.

I have searched this forum, but I could not find the relevant information.

Thanks in advance.

pavroo

An easy way to fix grub is: run Sparky Live and use Menu-> System-> Boot-Repair tool to do so.

The problem showed up (probably) during grub upgrading. APT used to ask where the new version of grub has to be installed to.
If you did not choose /dev/sda or so it installs grub to nowhere.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

Matsudaira

It would really be too easy. :)

But to be serious.

I have booted Live session of SparkyLinux. I have then started "Boot repair" tool as suggested by Pavroo . I have followed the instructions. They were quite self-explanatory. At the end I have received the info:

FSCK detected. Please use Linux-Secure-Remix (www.sourceforge.net/p/linux-secure) which contains a FSCK-compatible version of this software. This will enable this feature.

and then

Operation aborted.

I have searched the Internet a little bit and found that I should run fsck.

So i did that and ran "Boot repair". The result was exactly the same.

I have no clue what I should do next. :)

pavroo

Option 1:
Sparky has older version of Boot-Repair tool preinstalled (I have to upgrade it).
Download Linux-Secure-Remix iso, run it from USB/DVD and use the Boot-Repair tool from the live system.

Option 2:
Run Sparky live again, from the first bootloader window choose "Run from HD". If runs and the installed system will start, run Synaptic, refresh package list and reinstall all Grub packages.

Option 3:
Run Sparky live and upgrade Grub manually.
Mount a partition with root file system of installed system in the live system:
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
If you have created separated /boot partition mount it too.
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot
Change sda1/sda2 depends of your partition numbers.
Mount dev and proc:
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc

Change root:
sudo chroot /mnt
Install grub:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

Then reboot.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

Matsudaira

Just recently I had some time to work on the problem again.

I have chosen the first option, as it seems to be the most simple. I have downloaded boot-repair-disk (I could not find the download button for Remix), and I followed the procedure of repair. I have got the info:

"GPT detected. Please crate a BIOS-Boot partition (>1 MB, unformatted filesystem, bios_grub flag). This can be performed via tools such as Gparted. Then try again"

The true is that I have installed sparky using a manual partitioning with GPT partition table.

I have checked bios of my laptop, and it seems that it is a standard bios, but UEFI compatible. So I have reinstalled the sparky using Bios partition table. I also left 2 MiB of empty unallocated space, before the first partition. The installation went without problems, as I could recognize. The system did not boot from the pendrive. The pendrive has not even been recognized as bootable.

So, the problem is not solved.

Additionally, I have found that the kernel works on only one core of the processor (whereas it has 4 cores). It is, therefore, the next problem to solve.

Unfortunately, I do not have so much time to spent on it. So I decided to give up with the sparky for now.

Thanks to all for help.

View the most recent posts on the forum