Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Sparky Ultra Openbox is Better than ever

Started by dhinds, March 02, 2015, 05:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhinds

After doing a full upgrade everything important seems to work as desired, as the main system on the main desktop computer.  In fact, I am thinking of installing installing it on the other machines also.The question is, whether I should remaster this installation or create an installation from the Sparky Base or Openbox editions, adding the applications that made it Ultra, when that was still offered.

Opinions?  Thanks in advance.

pavroo

If you'd like to move the system you have already configured on your machine with all the apps you installed - make custom iso image.
Install sparky-backup-sys package, clean out all debs:
apt-get clean
then run Sparky Backup System.
It's the easiest way to do so.

Installing new Sparky Base iso image  lets you configure the system from the beginning, but some apps are not available any more they were offered for Sparky Ultra.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at irc.libera.chat

dhinds

Thank you for your rapid response, from Warsaw.

Quote from: pavroo on March 02, 2015, 06:04:22 PM
If you'd like to move the system you have already configured on your machine with all the apps you installed - make custom iso image.
Install sparky-backup-sys package,

sparky-backup-sys is already installed and up to date. Do I still need to run the following code?

Quote from: pavrooclean out all debs:

apt-get clean

then run Sparky Backup System.
It's the easiest way to do so.[/quote]

I'm not certain about what you mean.  I should run:

apt-get clean sparky-backup-sys

Is that what you recommend?

Quote from: pavrooInstalling new Sparky Base iso image lets you configure the system from the beginning, but some apps are not available any more they were offered for Sparky Ultra.

But they are in the Respositories, I assume.

pavroo

#3
If you have sparky-backup-sys package installed, you have what you need already.
Then run:
sudo apt-get clean
to remove all deb package to reduct the new iso image size.
Then run Sparky Backup System application from Menu-> System to make a new iso image from your present system.
QuoteBut they are in the Respositories, I assume.
Not everything.
Sparky Center Openbox is removed from repos time ago and Marchob-Menu as well.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at irc.libera.chat

dhinds

Quote from: pavroo on March 02, 2015, 09:33:42 PM
If you have sparky-backup-sys package installed, you have what you need already.
Then run:
sudo apt-get clean
to remove all deb package to reduce the new iso image size.
Then run Sparky Backup System application from Menu-> System to make a new iso image from your present system.
QuoteBut they are in the Respositories, I assume.
Not everything.
Sparky Center Openbox is removed from repos time ago and Marchob-Menu as well.

That may be why I was unable to find Sparky Wine Wrapper in Sparky Center after the upgrade, although it is installed - so I made it a favorite on the xfce4-panel that I use instead of the wbar, below.

I would like to send a screenshot of the Sparky / Debian wallpaper I installed last night, but the tif image is 2.3 mb.  How can I do that?

Since CrunchBang's developer has announced his intention to discontinue support and Manjaro has moved Manjarobox to the Community development section, there is a real need for a fully functional openbox system, which is what I have found Sparky Ultra Openbox to be.

I say that because a significicant number of Openbox System users would recognize and benefit from the value of such an offerring (which I am using to post this) from Sparky Linux, if you have the time and inclination.

Do you have an application list for the original Sparky Linux Ultra Openbox on hand?

Thanks in advance, Pavroo.

pavroo

QuoteI was unable to find Sparky Wine Wrapper in Sparky Center
I removed it from Sparky Center, but it is still available in our repos and from the Menu-> System after installing.
QuoteI would like to send a screenshot of the Sparky / Debian wallpaper I installed last night, but the tif image is 2.3 mb.  How can I do that?
Send the screenshot to a photos free service and then past a link from it to our forums.
QuoteDo you have an application list for the original Sparky Linux Ultra Openbox on hand?
Sorry, I don't, but I can run the old Sparky Ultra iso image and make a list if you'd like.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at irc.libera.chat

dhinds

#6
Quote from: pavroo on March 03, 2015, 03:53:53 PM
QuoteI would like to send a screenshot of the Sparky / Debian wallpaper I installed last night, but the tif image is 2.3 mb.  How can I do that?
Send the screenshot to a photos free service and then past a link from it to our forums.

https://imgur.com/T6VmU6u SparkBang ScreenShot

Although I used the "Insert Hyperlink" Icon to post the above, it does NOT seem to be a clickable link, so the address may have to be copied and pasted into a web browser's address box.

This is the source of the Wallpaper:  http://box-look.org/content/show.php/Debian+Elagant+Brit+Wallpaper?content=150282

Quote from: pavroo
QuoteDo you have an application list for the original Sparky Linux Ultra Openbox on hand?
Sorry, I don't, but I can run the old Sparky Ultra iso image and make a list if you'd like.

Yes, please do - when you have time (it's not urgent, but may be important).

I see that the Sparky Ultra Openbox 3.2 isos are still available frome sourceforge.  What would have to be done to make them compatible with the current (3.6) Sparky Openbox version?

GeneC

This...?
In Chrome, go to URl, right click wallpaper, choose "copy image url", paste in sparky thread with "insert image'.... ;)
GeneC

dhinds

#8
Quote from: GeneC on March 03, 2015, 06:54:38 PM
This...?
In Chrome, go to URl, right click wallpaper, choose "copy image url", paste in sparky thread with "insert image'.... ;)

That's the wall paper but not the screenshot (with tint2, Conky & the xfce4-panel).

And pavroo wanted it uploaded to a photo sharing site (it's 2.3 mb).

pavroo

QuoteAnd pavroo wanted it uploaded to a photo sharing site
So you did, but you can use "Insert image" button to display it on the forum.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at irc.libera.chat

dhinds

#10
Quote from: pavroo on March 03, 2015, 09:20:17 PM
QuoteAnd pavroo wanted it uploaded to a photo sharing site
So you did, but you can use "Insert image" button to display it on the forum.


dhinds

#11
Quote from: pavroo on March 03, 2015, 09:20:17 PM
QuoteAnd pavroo wanted it uploaded to a photo sharing site
So you did, but you can use "Insert image" button to display it on the forum.

I am inserting the url linked to the photo sharing site between the placed by the insert image button, but it doesn't work using either qupzilla or chrome.

Why?

pavroo

#12
Probably you have used a link to the web page where your screenshot is placed.
To insert image via forum's button use direct patch to image file with extension such as: .png, .jpg, .jpeg, etc., for example:
A link with your image.png is: https://i.imgur.com/T6VmU6u.png
Inserted image.png:
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at irc.libera.chat

GeneC

GeneC

pavroo

Iceweasel doesn't want to display it every time, don't not why?
But it works fine in Chromium and Qupzilla I checked now.

QuoteYes, please do - when you have time (it's not urgent, but may be important).
Ready.
i486 list:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sparkylinux/files/ultra/sparkylinux-3.2-i486-ultra-package-list.txt/download
x86_64 list:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sparkylinux/files/ultra/sparkylinux-3.2-x86_64-ultra-package-list.txt/download
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at irc.libera.chat

View the most recent posts on the forum