Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Xfce 4.12 Should Be Released at the End of February

Started by GeneC, February 20, 2015, 07:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneC

Should come to Debian Testing (and therefore Sparky) before too long... :)

From Softpedia
http://linux.softpedia.com/blog/Xfce-4-12-Should-Be-Released-in-One-Week-at-the-End-of-February-473782.shtml

QuoteXfce 4.12 Should Be Released in One Week, at the End of February
String freeze starts today, February 20, 2015
After several emails between Xfce developers and numerous delays, it appears that the highly anticipated Xfce 4.12 desktop environment will finally be released at the end of February 2015, in the last weekend, most probably on March 1, if nothing goes wrong.

Unfortunately, a release date hasn't been pinned down at the moment of writing this article, but it looks like Xfce 4.12 is in string freeze starting February 20. Xfce 4.12 is in development for more than two years, as Xfce 4.11.

While only a few GNU/Linux distributions have adopted the unstable 4.11 packages of the forthcoming Xfce 4.12 desktop environment, most of them are still using the latest stable release, Xfce 4.10.3, which was announced in the last day of 2014, on December 31.

Not to mention that some stable GNU/Linux operating systems like Debian 7 Wheezy still have the old Xfce 4.8 desktop environment on their software repositories. Most probably, if Xfce 4.12 will be released next weekend, Arch Linux users will be the first to install it.

You can rest assured that we will announce here, on this space, when Xfce 4.12 will be officially released, so make sure that you follow us on Twitter, Google+, and Facebook, and prepare your Linux boxes for the upgrade.

As I am dual-booting Sparky and Arch.  I'll get to see it first in Arch.
Stay tuned..... ;)
GeneC

J.Jay

:) Hi Gene

doing what your doing but using 'live' USB thumb drives (also XubuntuLTS)

Manjaro has a 'pre 0.09 version out usin most 4.12, the 0.08 series uses 4.11 with bit & pieces of(from) 4.12 anyways :P

On LMint and 'Buntus & friends can also activate a dev ppa (maintianed from Xubunto/launchpad?) to try

J.Jay
P.S. the panel 'smart hide' is great (used in Manjaro .08 already) and the 'smart window placement' xfwindow4 is also awsome!
Thunar improvements are needed/great also ;)

MoroS

Quote from: GeneC on February 20, 2015, 07:21:49 PM
As I am dual-booting Sparky and Arch.  I'll get to see it first in Arch.

I can say without thinking too much, that Arch will be first. Package updates in Arch are blazing fast. I've used it to more than two years, before switching entirely to Sparky. :)
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

J.Jay

Forgot to say Xubuntu is using their 4.12 ppa integrated into 15.04 already.   So the actual 4.12  release will probably be in the 15.04 final when released (not the ppa). ::)

J.Jay

drew

Quote from: MoroS on February 21, 2015, 10:01:35 PMPackage updates in Arch are blazing fast. I've used it to more than two years, before switching entirely to Sparky. :)

I think testing is a good compromise between arch's bleeding edge, (and every once and awhile, broken), and debian stable, which is really solid but also old.

I guess the xfce guys figured they'd better put something out, with all the talk of them being "dead" lately... :D

MoroS

There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

View the most recent posts on the forum