Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Lumina

Started by carlo, November 19, 2014, 04:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

way12go

I tried Lumina in PC-BSD but the OS is very very slow. I think I need 4 GB RAM for it.
Someone said Dragonfly BSD is the fastest OS in the World and some benchmarks conducted by phoronix says otherwise.

According to my experience...

Any distro or OS is good if you know what it takes.

As I'm a newbie Sparky is the best.

With less than 1 GB Puppylinux and Porteus 32 Mate are best.

Fortunately I've 1 GB RAM on Desktop and 2 GB on Laptop.

I'm using Sparkylinux 32 Mate no-PAE on both Desktop and Laptop and Mate version seems to be a lot better than other DEs.

I think instead of replacing Sparkylinux Gameover's LXDE with XFCE it would be good with Mate? Yeah it will take little extra RAM.

Sparkylinux Gameover with Mate?

Lumina is similar to Mate.

Mate is better or is it?

I just forgot Lumina, not used much. May be, half an hour.

Thanks.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

drew

Well Lumina is in the AUR so I had a chance to try it out on my Manjaro install, two things-- 1) It's nowhere near usable yet on Linux, I am not sure about on BSD but I could not even log out and several things just don't work yet. 2) It has HUGE potential as a lightweight qt based desktop and with time and polish I could see it going head to head with Lxqt. I really liked the way it was layed out even though half of the stuff didn't work.

MoroS

I've searched around the repository. It seems that there is a Debian build template included.
https://github.com/pcbsd/lumina

See the readme on the bottom of the page. It seems that you're just required to:
1. Clone the git repository: git clone https://github.com/pcbsd/lumina.git
2. Go to the libLumina directory and execute: ./make-linux-distro.sh Debian (probably "Debian", if not, then "debian").
3. Get back to the main directory and run "qmake" to generate the Makefiles.
4. Run "make" to compile.
5. Normally there would be a "make install" here, but we'll probably want to modify the last steps to create a DEB package.

One note though: depending on the installed Qt version you'll either have to use the master branch (Qt5) or the 0.7.2 branch (Qt4), but the 0.7.2 doesn't have the Debian template, so using the Linux template would be required here. Personally I would go along with master and Qt5, as it has the Debian template.

EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot. To switch to a specific branch in your local repository just do: git checkout branch_name

To switch to the 0.7.2 branch use (everything while being in the repository directory) git checkout 0.7.2
To switch back to master just do git checkout master
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

pavroo

Yee, I've seen that (later).
I put it down for a while until I finish with Budgie.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

MoroS

Well, that wasn't so bad. I've got Lumina compiling and running on Sparky. :)

Full-size screenshot:
http://pliki.dnadesign.pl/screenshots/lumina001.png

It still needs polishing and I haven't tested everything yet, but it runs after the first successful compilation. :D

Still, it'll take some time before I can release packages or an ISO image with Lumina (I have some other things to attend to, so I don't have too much time right now), so please be patient. ;)

pavroo

Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

way12go

You guys are awesome and unbelievable. Awesome effort going through to make Sparkylinux available in so many flavours.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

drew

Pretty soon you will be able to get Sparky in any desktop flavour you want  :D Are you able to log out Moro? Some things didn't work for me when I tried the package in the Arch repos. I think this desktop will be similar to Lxqt--lightweight qt based, built on top of fluxbox (lxqt is built on openbox). But yeah, the favorites system and the zfs snapshots feature look really cool.

MoroS

Quote from: drew on February 03, 2015, 07:21:28 AM
Pretty soon you will be able to get Sparky in any desktop flavour you want  :D Are you able to log out Moro? Some things didn't work for me when I tried the package in the Arch repos. I think this desktop will be similar to Lxqt--lightweight qt based, built on top of fluxbox (lxqt is built on openbox). But yeah, the favorites system and the zfs snapshots feature look really cool.

I was able to log out, but I wasn't able to shut down (it did a logout :P ). The first impression is that I don't like that Fluxbox integration. It'll take some time to make a consistent theme for this, as it's a GTK(Fluxbox)/Qt(Lumina) crossover. Luckily Lumina only launches Fluxbox and is not code-related to it, so there's a possibility to exchange Fluxbox for something else. As I try to make it workable (and lookable ;) ), I'll look at the possibilities of using a WM other than Fluxbox (don't get me wrong: I like Fluxbox, I just don't think it fits Lumina enough).

carlo

who's heavier: lumina or lxqt?

drew

They are similar in terms of resource usage. Actually, you know what reminds me a lot of Lumina? This AntiX distro with IceWM I've been trying out. It's built on Fluxbox and is very reminiscent of it. The thing about Lumina is although I like where they are going with it, it isn't really functional yet at least on Linux from what I could see, it will probably be awhile before we can build anything with it.

View the most recent posts on the forum