Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[ Solved ]Flash player Mozilla outdated. Debian testing. Sparkylinux.

Started by way12go, December 18, 2014, 10:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

way12go

Flash player Mozilla outdated.

Every time I open a website with flash player requirement in it, I get update flash or allow the current installed old version.

I tried to install flashplayer-mozilla but it says it will uninstall flashplugin-nonfree and sparky-lxde etc and install many other apps.

How do I solve this problem?
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

way12go

Download the tar.gz file from Adobe and extract the libflashplayer.so to ~/.mozilla/plugins
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

MoroS

You won't. That's still version 11.2. It's because of a simple fact, that Adobe does not support Flash on Linux for a at least a year now. Linux version of Flash stopped as version 11.2. The current released version on Windows is 16.x.

Chromium-based browsers can overcome this problem using the PepperAPI-based version of the Flash plugin bundled with Chrome (that's how, for example, ArchLinux handles Flash installation in Chromium). Sadly any other (non-Chromium) Linux browser uses the Netscape Plugin API and that version of Flash plguin has long been abandoned (there are some occasional security fixes, but that's it).
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

way12go

On a fresh install I get update flash message and the message

doesn't go away even if I do dist-upgrade and

when I enter this command the problem is solved.

update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

Installation

Ensure your /etc/apt/sources.list file includes the contrib section ( for more information see sources.list )
    Install flashplugin-nonfree (from section contrib):

# apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Upgrade

How to update the Adobe Flash Player:

# update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

https://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer

MoroS

Quote from: way12go on December 25, 2014, 07:48:55 AM
On a fresh install I get update flash message and the message

It's just as I wrote in my previous post: the NPAPI version of Flash for Linux stopped at version 11.x. Firefox's detection, on the other hand, didn't and it expects version 16.x to be installed. Adobe dropped support of the NPAPI Flash for Linux a while ago. The only way of getting an up-to-date Flash plugin is to used the one bundled with Google Chrome (which uses the new PPAPI in place of the old NPAPI, however other browser manufacturers have their reasons not to use the PPAPI, as it's secifically made by Google for the Chrome browser... and that's the only reason, I guess).

Either way: even after upgrading as you stated above, you're still running a really old version of the Flash plugin.
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

View the most recent posts on the forum