Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

sparky website drives away curious users

Started by antianti_is_dumb, December 26, 2014, 05:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antianti_is_dumb

Hi,

I just discovered sparkylinux through a third party review and was eager to learn more about this linux distro, so I went to the official website and after 5 minutes over there I'm mad and don't want to hear of sparkylinux ever again. Why ? because a stupid pop up complaining about adblock and set to show up 999999 times is preventing me from using the website. And I don't even want to think about using a distro from people who thinks it is smart to get in the way of people willing to know more and help and infuriate them in the process.

This anti adblock plugin has been unmaintained for 2 years now due to lack of interest from its users and is set up in the most obnoxious way, I understand you wish you were able to help tracking me online and invade my privacy for a few bucks but I don't want the internet to turn into a massive and global surveillance tool and I consider privacy to be a fundamental freedom that I choose to defend.

I went out of my way and got through layers of attempts to prevent me from providing this feedback (looking for a way, forced registration, multiple layers of annoying anti bots) so please consider removing this obnoxious and useless popup or at least set it to appear only once so it doesn't drive people away.

pavroo

Hi
It's nice to see your opinion.
My answer is no.
If you really think that I can cover all my payments around what I do for you for FREE - you are in big mistake.
Anti adblock tool ask you to stop blocking and watch pop-ups what let me cover some bills.
If you still block it and don't understand it means you never been on my side and probably never understand my point.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

way12go

Point taken. I too have Adblock Edge addon installed and the opyion for sparkylinux website is to allow the ads. We can simply allow the ads for a single domain... Come on, is it too much to ask for?
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

drew

While I share the privacy concerns of the original poster I do not think that a simple request to whitelist the site on adblock is unreasonable.

way12go

ublock the firefox addon that consumes less RAM than other adblock addons

https://googledrive.com/host/0Bx8fnUCX4W2ISjlGTC1HOE0zNFE/uBlock.xpi

ublock consumes less memory than adblock or adblockplus or adblock edge.

You can also block ads in "hosts" file from these three websites...

Mvps.org

Sysctl.org

Yoyo.org
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

MoroS

Quote from: antianti_is_dumb on December 26, 2014, 05:32:18 PM
This anti adblock plugin has been unmaintained for 2 years now due to lack of interest from its users and is set up in the most obnoxious way, I understand you wish you were able to help tracking me online and invade my privacy for a few bucks but I don't want the internet to turn into a massive and global surveillance tool and I consider privacy to be a fundamental freedom that I choose to defend.

I'm not a polite as Pavroo, so...

What freedom? You think that having AdBlock protects you from spying? Dude, you have much more spying software installed already, than you think. The internet has for years been a global surveillance tool. Facebook, Google, Microsoft and many other track your behaviour without you even knowing. Tracking cookies are a good example. Facebook and Google create those every time you enter one of their pages (or a widgeted page) and then every page that has a "Share" button or a community window/frame (either Facebook, +1, Google+ or other) reports to the company what site you've visited (information on users interests for ad targeting and such). Every addition on every web page gathers data on you activity (Facebook widgets, Google widgets, Disqus, Analytics and other commong things that AdBlock doesn't block). Those things you're talking about are a myth, that unaware users pass on the each other, thinking they're well anonimized. You want full anonimity? Use a Tor-based browser and never leave the private mode. And even then your ISP has records of your internet activity, so... though luck.

Besides when you started using some of those mentioned services you agreed to the terms and conditions of usage, which state that data like that are gathered, but you problably didn't read them like 99% of people nagging about that, so stop bullshi**ing about invading someones privacy. The ads are here for us to gather money for server upkeep. No one's paying us to spy on anyone. Also no one's paying us to do what we do. We do it in our free time for people to use and enjoy, so have a little respect and decency, kid.

Quote from: antianti_is_dumb on December 26, 2014, 05:32:18 PM
I went out of my way and got through layers of attempts to prevent me from providing this feedback (looking for a way, forced registration, multiple layers of annoying anti bots) so please consider removing this obnoxious and useless popup or at least set it to appear only once so it doesn't drive people away.

All those layers are here to protect users from spam bots, anonymous trolls and such. It's preventive moderation and it'll not be removed because one person doesn't like it. If the community as a whole requested it, then we'd change it.

PS. I also apologize to the rest of the community, that you had to witness me go a little "Linus" of that guy (although Linus does it better and doesn't hold back his tongue as much, but since it's a public post... ;) ). It's been a long time since I've seen so much ignorance from another person.
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

View the most recent posts on the forum