Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

amule

Started by carlo, December 26, 2014, 02:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlo

Merry Xmas ye all!

i have gone quite a big trouble in order to be able to install amule on my sparky 64, this is what i had to undergo, in very non technical words:

• add vollstreckernet repos
  • add the key
  • wget python-wxgtk2.8_2
  • wget libwxbase2.8-0
  • wget libwxgtk2.8-0
  • wget libboost-system1.54.0
  • intalled 'em all
  • could finally install amule via apt

wouldn't you consider the idea of putting all of those debs on sparky repos?

GeneC

Hi carlo... :)

It should come to Debian Testing (on which Sparky is based) soon, as its in SID (and Wheezy)..
https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=+amule
GeneC

carlo

Quote from: GeneC on December 26, 2014, 03:24:24 PM
Hi carlo... :)

It should come to Debian Testing (on which Sparky is based) soon, as its in SID (and Wheezy)..

Hi GeneC,
question is: why is it in stable and sid, while not in testing?

GeneC

This often happens in migration from SID to Testing.  Some packages are held back for a period.  Only Debian maintainers know why.  Possibly not ready for testing.  Possibly just slow to migrate.  I would suggest if a particular package is needed and only available from SID to 'temporarily' add the SID repo and install just that package (and its dependencies).  Not to do a full upgrade (DU) as that would put you fully tracking SID with many package upgrades and possible breakage.  Then remove (or comment out) the SID repo.

GeneC

carlo

so... say sooner or later those packages get back in testing repos...
i've installed them from a .deb if they're ever updated synaptic/aptitude/etc would update them automatically ?

GeneC

Yes, Synaptic recognizes manually installed debs, and when a newer version comes along it will be updated.. Check in your Synaptic.  It should show the deb you installed...

On the other hand if you ever compile from source.  Newer version will have to be re-compiled...
GeneC

carlo

Quote from: GeneC on December 26, 2014, 09:14:09 PM
On the other hand if you ever compile from source.  Newer version will have to be re-compiled...

that's something i was taught to avoid like pest :P

View the most recent posts on the forum