Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

RAMBOOT

Started by way12go, November 29, 2014, 01:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

way12go

http://ramboot.org/

RAMBOOT is a distribution of Ubuntu Core designed for rapid development of embedded Linux systems. Such systems are commonly referred to as "network appliance" systems.

Introduction

From a user perspective RAMBOOT provides a bootable in-memory minimal install release of Ubuntu LTS 12.04.
The user can use "apt-get" to install the desired packages from Ubuntu repositories.
The installed and configured system can then be preserved by generating a new system image.

RAMBOOT is designed for use on inexpensive USB flash storage. It has a small footprint and does not make use of the bootflash once the system has booted. This avoids the performance constraints of USB storage.

An in-memory operating system provides several advantages when used for an infrastructure device:

Less dependence on moving parts
    Faster performance (elimination of storage IO wait)
    Reduced Time to Service Restoration (a reboot will always return a system to a known state)
    Improved consistency for large deployments (every system can have the exact known OS)

These features are common for network infrastructure devices such as network routers and firewalls but remain uncommon with Linux-based alternatives. RAMBOOT aims to apply this model to Linux-based appliances.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

way12go

Is this useful for Sparkylinux if I have faster and more RAM?
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

pavroo

I don't think so.
My free time is limited so I do what I can.
More important is to make new version of the installer workingable then create another spin or something else.
Sorry guys, I have only two hands and every day has only 24 hours.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

View the most recent posts on the forum