Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Hello tout le monde from Ottawa, Canada

Started by stevendupuis, November 17, 2014, 02:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevendupuis

Hi folks!

Just wanted to say hello to all the other sparkers (or sparklers) out there. I'm retired now from doing systems consulting work so I've had a bit of time to try out lots of different distros - and you guessed it - I've installed Sparky on two machines already, and I believe my Xubuntu laptop is next ...

I figured out how to install Debian Jessie in a VM (while it was still Testing) to get a feel for a rolling release - and I gotta say, its awesome! No more blow-it-all-away upgrades, where I usually mess things up and lose most of my configuration data. I then figured out how to add the Sid (Unstable)  repositories to the Testing - and got it all working. Then I came across Sparky Linux - and the folks who bolt this thing together have done an excellent job ... I usually update twice weekly to ensure I don't get too far behind. Otherwise the updates can be monstrous.

Good luck everyone with your computing adventures ..

Steve Dupuis
Ottawa, Canada

way12go

I must say this will be your final destination if you are not going to dump Sparkylinux for some meaningless ignorant reason. For example elive has some compression thing, robolinux has some vm thing etc; believe me other distro got their own thing going on but, Sparkylinux stands among the crowd, it's as it was mentioned in the main website page, fast, responsive etc; I simply love this amazing distro.

Thanks.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

stevendupuis

Quote from: way12go on November 17, 2014, 03:20:22 AM
I must say this will be your final destination if you are not going to dump Sparkylinux for some meaningless ignorant reason. For example elive has some compression thing, robolinux has some vm thing etc; believe me other distro got their own thing going on but, Sparkylinux stands among the crowd, it's as it was mentioned in the main website page, fast, responsive etc; I simply love this amazing distro.

Thanks.

Thanks for your response! I've been using sparky for a few months now, and I'm definitely a believer. The developers / maintainers are an awesome group - I only wish I had extra funds because I would gladly donate to this project. I'm going to see about contributing something. I'll check the forum to see what people need and are looking for.

Regards,
Steve

Nimsy

Bonjour monsieur!

I'm only getting started as a Sparkist, over here, but I am absolutely delighted with it thusfar.  It reminds me of how I felt when I first discovered Linux at all, back in 2000 with RedHat 9, in a lot of ways.

I have gone from RHL > Gentoo > Sabayon (gentoo-fork) > SolydK (which introduced me to Debian) > Sparky.

Ideally, I'd love to find that (mythical) hybrid between Gentoo and Debian that I've seen occasional ramblings about.  I have lovely (delicious, even!), quasi-formed schemes.  And - though I have been an adoring user of KDE for many years - I may even be considering sacrificing it for the cause.

Where I find that I unfortunately fall short of the mark on what I want to do is my lack of experience with shell scripts and programming code.  It's always something I wanted to know more about but never found the time or opportunity.  :P

View the most recent posts on the forum