Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Artefacts on screen due to Nvidia-driver?

Started by Luc, November 06, 2014, 12:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luc

Hi, there are artefacts on my screen when I scroll through webpages or play a game. It can be partially fixed by changing the resolution to 800x600 & refresch rate to 56,2. But that is not always workable.
Strange fact is that I had the same problem in Xubuntu as well (in dualboot configuration with Sparky GameOver), but the problem disappeared after a few re-installs. In the previous install (past days), I've found a pictogram (in Xubuntu) to configure third-party and proprietary drivers. There, I could select "NVIDIA legacy binary driver - version 304.117", which solved the problem. With my current install however of Xubuntu the used driver is "X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver", running smoothly now, without artefacts!

But this doesn't solve my problem at Sparky ofcourse. I suspect it is the driver of my graphical card that causes the problem, but whatever I try, I don't succeed to install the NVIDIA-driver properly.

My system:
- SparkyLinux 3.4 "GameOver" i486
- Kernel: Linux 3.14-1-486 (i686)
- Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux jessie/sid
- Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+
- VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C51G[GeForce 6100]
- Desktop session: LXDE

After installation, I executed the following with Sparky APTus:
- Safely upgrade the system
- Update package list
- Fix broken packagers

Terminal output for "nvidia-detect": nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver". Via Synaptic, I installed this driver + nvidia-xconfig, always with all dependencies. At a certain moment, during installation of the driver, a message pops up "Busy configuring xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-xx" telling that configuration needs to be done manually to activate the NVIDIA-driver, the NVIDIA-driver is not configured, and that it has to be activated in xorg.conf before it can be used.

That's where I get stuck. Can't find this file. Should it be created? What should be in it, and where should it be located? In /etc/X11 or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, or still somewhere else? Also the nouveau driver should be blacklisted, how and where?
The installation of the Nvidia-driver wasn't succesfull, so had to re-install Sparky GameOver.

How can I get this solved? Is it the driver that causes the problem, or should try other things first?
I appreciate any help very much! Many thanks in advance!

Luc

Small update: problem is back in Xubuntu. Solved by selecting "NVIDIA legacy binary driver - version 304.117".
So please, who can help me with Sparky?

MoroS

Hi Lux.

If you have installed the nvidia-xconfig package and don't have the /etc/X11/xorg.conf (default behaviour, as we tend to let Xorg do the detection), then try running the following command (as root), which should generate the xorg.conf file for you:
nvidia-xconfig
The file will have the default Xorg configuration + the changes necessary for X to use the nVidia binary driver. Give it a try.
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

Luc

Hello MoroS,

It works, fantastic! Problem solved, thank you so much!
My son (8y.) will love this! Thanks for your fast and helpfull reply!

Kr,
Luc

MoroS

Quote from: Luc on November 06, 2014, 10:18:57 PM
It works, fantastic! Problem solved, thank you so much!

That's what I'm here for. I'm glad it worked for you. :)

PS. This trick should work with pretty much any distro. Some distros might already have the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, so you might want to back it up first. ;)
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

View the most recent posts on the forum