Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

My final choice is Sparkylinux.

Started by way12go, November 08, 2014, 03:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

way12go

My final choice is Sparkylinux.

Recently I watched a youtube video by InfinitelyGalactic and he mentioned he is engaged and I congratulated him. He also said nothing much is happening in linux world then after I started visiting distrowatch website very often and I noticed that some Debian distro stable version elive RC2 is available and later I noticed OpenSUSE 13.2 is released and I also noticed Tumbleweed - OpenSUSE rolling release is merged with factory something. I wanted to download those distros but I said to myself Sparkylinux is simply awesome no need to go for something that looks attractive but isn't as good as Sparkylinux and as responsive as Sparkylinux.

I noticed something about elive debian stable distro and I'm posting it here.

QuoteDevelopment Release: Elive 2.4.0 (Beta)
[Elive]    Samuel Baggen has announced the release of Elive 2.4.0, a new beta of the Debian-based distribution with a customised Enlightenment 17 desktop: "The Elive team is proud to announce the release of the beta version 2.4.0. This new version includes: new Linux kernel 3.16; Reiser4 (stable version) officially included in the installer; Terminology 0.7.0; included tutorial by Yann Esposito about learning to use Vim superpowers. This version of Elive includes officially Reiser4 (with all known bugs fixed) - you can enjoy an extremely fast system by using the LZO real-time compression mode, which makes your data use less space on your hard disk. This is good for people who want to save space on their hard disks, but it also makes your hard disk mechanism require less space to travel when reading the data. This means that your hard disk will become magically double fast or even three times faster." Read the rest of the release announcement for further details. Download: elive_2.4.0_beta_hybrid.iso (2,240MB, MD5, pkglist).

I just want to know if this compression thing can be included in Sparkylinux.

Also I used the previous version Opensuse 13.1 and then there was default mode. If we change some setting in the OpenSUSE and it doesn't work then we can choose the default mode in boot screen and we can fix the normal files to bring it back. My doubt is, if we are upgrading and the download of files is complete and system is upgrading and power goes off then we need to install the distro again, is it possible to avoid such disasters?

Edit:

Sorry I didn't donate any money. I've a dangerous mind disorder known as Schizophrenia and the 5000 rupees my elder sister gave me were used to order health supplements from USA. Swansonvitamins. I'm 34 male and will remain single forever! So in the mere future I wish I get an opportunity to support several linux distros who require bare minimum of funds to keep doing the amazing work whether their distros are worth a try or not.

You are what you eat and,

you are what you think and,

ultimately you are what you decide.

Create decisions to respect life.

If you are in the shoes of life, that is what life is.

Thanks.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

MoroS

Quote from: way12go on November 08, 2014, 03:25:29 AM
I just want to know if this compression thing can be included in Sparkylinux.

That's not a good thing. Compression will make SOME portions of the data smaller, which causes less disk usage, BUT... It will get CPU-intensive. Every read or write operation instead of only using CPU cycles for I/O operation handling will also use additional cycles (A LOT!) for data compression/decompression.

Other than that: it's not too safe. Think HDD bad sectors. When a normal file gets corrupted with a bad sector, you're usually capable of recovering most of that file (text documents, images, etc. are most probably salvagable), but when a compressed file gets corrupted, then it's toast. Corrupting a compressed file structure means no decompression capabilities.

Compression of an entire file system is good for backup purposes only. If you want a highly effective desktop, you'll stay away from it. And given that Sparky is intended to run on slower machines... Well, the conclusion is quite obvious. ;)
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

View the most recent posts on the forum