Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[solved]trouble installing dropbox

Started by houndhen, October 06, 2014, 02:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

houndhen

64 bit SparkyLinux  XFCE installed. I got dropbox installed and synced with the cloud but found the dropbox folder in /root. Changed ownership and moved it to /home folder. The dropbox icon was in the top right panel and was supposed to start at boot. I logged out and used Win 7 to do some stuff and came back to SL. Dropbox didn't start and there was no icon in the top right panel. So I tried to start it from the menu and from the command line to no avail. So I went to the dropbox web site and downloaded the 64 bit debian version and ran the deb. Still couldn't get the icon to show or any indication that dropbox was running.  So I found all the dropbox associated files and deleted them. I probably have installed it again from synaptic and also from the dropbox website. Anyway, I still have a menu item for dropbox and I still have my uptoday dropbox folder in my /home folder. Dropbox doesn't run from the menu or the command line. Frustrated and ignorant. Can someone advise me about getting rid of this mess and installing dropbox correctly?

pavroo

Dopbox doesn't start automatically.
You can run it from menu.
If you really want to be Dropbox started when system starts, copy the 'dropbox.desktop' file to the startup folder as follow:
cp /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop /home/<your-nick>/.config/autostart
After rebooting it should starts itself.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

houndhen

Quote from: pavroo on October 07, 2014, 12:40:31 PM
You can run it from menu.
If you really want to be Dropbox started when system starts, copy the 'dropbox.desktop' file to the startup folder as follow:
cp /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop /home/<your-nick>/.config/autostart
After rebooting it should starts itself.
Thanks for the tip but it doesn't run from the menu. I have installed it two or three times but it still doesn't run from the menu. Ran the command line code and dropbox is in the startup. I will reboot and see what happens.
Thanks,

edit
After restart there is no icon in the top right panel. If I click on the menu item for Dropbox it doesn't run. I used application finder and tried that to launch dropbox from there and it doesn't open. I have kept the /home/dropbox folder and still have it. I was thinking that if I could get it running then there would be very few files to update from the cloud. I just looked at dropbox on another working distro on another computer and the hidden folders .dropbox and .dropbox-dist are not in the home folder on this computer like they are on the other computer. Going to try and get rid of all instances of dropbox on this computer, uninstall dropbox  and start over. Don't know if I can track down all files associated with dropbox and delete them but maybe I can get rid of some of the garbage that I have created.

2nd edit
Read and tried downgrading libglib from the command line but was unsuccessful. Apt-get nor aptitude was able to find libglib2.0, so I will wait for a fix with synaptic. Probably didn't do the command line correctly.

pavroo

It doesn't start on my machine too.
It can be a global problem started with libglib2.0 issue:
http://sparkylinux.org/forum/index.php?topic=2638.0
Anyway you can use dropbox command line interface, simply run:
dropbox --help
for more info.

houndhen

Quote from: pavroo on October 07, 2014, 10:59:24 PM
It doesn't start on my machine too.
It can be a global problem started with libglib2.0 issue:
http://sparkylinux.org/forum/index.php?topic=2638.0
Anyway you can use dropbox command line interface, simply run:
dropbox --help
for more info.
Tried 'dropbox start' from the command line but I get that the dropbox daemon is not installed. It says to run 'dropbox start -i' to install the daemon. Will try that.

houndhen

Here is what I get when I ran 'dropbox start -i'
dropbox start -i
Starting Dropbox.../usr/bin/dropbox:508: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/stock of theme NoirCrystal has no size field

dialog.show()
Attempt to unlock mutex that was not locked
Aborted
I have no idea what this means.

pavroo

That's the point - it's libglib issue, have to wait for fixing.

houndhen

That's what I thought. Thanks pavroo.

way12go

I thought I will give it a try and let you guys know what happened.

And, this is what happened.

Step 1: I opened file manager and pressed ctrl+h to show hidden files and navigated to

/home/user name/.config/autostart/

and created document - empty file and named it as " dropbox.desktop "

and then I opened the text file with leafpad and added these lines to the text file

[Desktop Entry]
Name=dropbox
Comment=dropbox
Icon=dropbox
Exec=dropbox
Terminal=false
Type=Application

And rebooted without any success.

And then this is what happened...

Quotedropbox
Dropbox command-line interface

commands:

Note: use dropbox help <command> to view usage for a specific command.

status       get current status of the dropboxd
help         provide help
puburl       get public url of a file in your dropbox
stop         stop dropboxd
running      return whether dropbox is running
start        start dropboxd
filestatus   get current sync status of one or more files
ls           list directory contents with current sync status
autostart    automatically start dropbox at login
exclude      ignores/excludes a directory from syncing
lansync      enables or disables LAN sync

s@android:~$ dropbox start
Starting Dropbox...
The Dropbox daemon is not installed!
Run "dropbox start -i" to install the daemon
s@android:~$ dropbox start -i
Starting Dropbox.../usr/bin/dropbox:508: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/stock of theme NoirCrystal has no size field

dialog.show()
Aborted
s@android:~$
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

way12go

I tried this but it didn't work

after step 3 I get the same error message

QuoteSimple fix for the looping "Dropbox daemon not installed!" problem

I ( I - the Ubuntu user )  performed an Ubuntu update the other day, and my dropbox stopped working.

It kept asking me to install the dropbox daemon, even though I had already installed it.

I fixed this problem by removing the hidden dropbox folders in my home directory, and then reinstalling the dropbox package.

Short answer:

Remove the two hidden dropbox folders (~/.dropbox and ~/.dropbox-dist) from your home directory, and try running dropbox again.

Long answer:

Step 1 - Remove the two hidden dropbox folders:

rm -rfd ~/.dropbox-dist/
    rm -rfd ~/.dropbox/

Step 2 - Reinstall dropbox:

Download the appropriate dropbox for your distro.

https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx

Use the download to reinstall the dropbox package.

Step 3 - Open dropbox:

Open dropbox, dropbox is usually found in your applications drop-down under internet.

Step 4 - Install daemon and configure:

When you run dropbox, it will install the dropbox daemon. Once it has completed that step, it should ask you to log out and in again. Log out, then log back in.
    Once you have logged back in, re-run dropbox. This time when you run dropbox, it will ask you for your login details. Provide your login details.
    Dropbox will now ask where you want to sync your dropbox to. Select the same folder as you previously used.

Step 5 - Finished

Dropbox should now be working again!

error message:

s@android:~$ dropbox start -i

dialog.show()
Aborted
s@android:~$

Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

way12go

way12go

I did this

Quotehttps://wiki.debian.org/reportbug

QuoteUsing GMail's SMTP Server

It is sometimes easier to configure reportbug to use GMail to send bug reports rather than the existing sendmail program installed by default in Debian. The following outlines the steps to accomplish this:

Run 'reportbug --configure' as your normal user. This creates a ~/.reportbugrc file that stores all the configurations.

Follow the instructions and when asked "Do you have a 'mail transport agent' (MTA) configured", choose 'No'.
    Then enter the SMTP host for gmail: 'smtp.gmail.com:587'

For the user name enter: '<username>@gmail.com'

For the question "Does your SMTP host require TLS authentication?", choose 'Yes' (If you are on a release < squeeze, reportbug will not ask this question.)

If you have set up Google's two-factor authentication for your GMail account, you can create an application-specific password to use with reportbug.

I guess the bug report is filed. Or is it? I have no clue.

houndhen

Keep installing and uninstalling Dropbox but can never get it to launch from either menu or command line. No joy.

pavroo

View the most recent posts on the forum