Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[ Solved ] Prepaid Manager.

Started by way12go, October 01, 2014, 06:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

way12go

Quotehttps://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/saucy/prepaid-manager-applet/

Quotehttp://www.techillumination.in/2014/08/3g-wifi-dongle-data-card-usage-ubuntu.html

I wish the app available on Ubuntu is also available on Sparkylinux. The app is, Prepaid Manager.

How to Check 3G/ Wifi Dongle/ Data Card Usage in Ubuntu Linux
3G WiFi dongle or data card come in handy, when it comes to using internet on the go. Simply plug in the dongle and you are ready to go online. 3G dongle has completely revolutionized the way we use internet today.

I have been using 3G Airtel dongle for quite a while now. The 3G dongle was quite easy to install and use. In windows 7 on plugging in, it automatically installed the required software and within minutes it was ready to be connected. The interface was quite user friendly with options to check the usage balance too.

It was quite a different experience when I tried using the 3G dongle in Ubuntu 12.04. In Ubuntu, first we need to launch the Network Connection and then add our new mobile broadband connection. It has an easy user friendly interface to get connected.

The one issue that I faced while using 3G dongle in Ubuntu 12.04 was that the interface that I had in windows to check the 3g data balance was not available in Ubuntu. So, I did a bit of research and stumbled on Prepaid Manager.

Installing Prepaid Manage was quite simple. Go to Ubuntu Software Center and search for it. Click and install. Next launch Prepaid Manager and click the check button on the interface to query the data balance. But most probably you would be getting an error:

We can't find the information on how to query the account balance from your provider 'BSNL/CellOne' in our database.

You are getting that error since we haven't yet configured the code to check the data balance. In order to do that, open

Quote/usr/share/mobile-broadband-provider-info/serviceproviders.xml

In this xml file you need to search first for your country which is India and within that search for your service provider. In my case although I'm using a Airtel 3G dongle/data card, my service provider is BSNL/Cellone. So I added the following xml into the BSNL/Cellone section

Quote<balance-check>
     <ussd>*124*4# </ussd>
</balance-check>
Through the following xml I have simply added the ussd code to query the BSNL 3G data balance. In case you have a different service provider add the particular service provider's ussd code to the above xml.

Prepaid Manager isn't the only tool to check 3G/ WiFi Dongle/ Data Card usage in Ubuntu, there are a number of other tools and applications. Let me know of any other tools or application that you may be using in the comments below.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

way12go

Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

View the most recent posts on the forum