Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[ Solved ] How to install Linux using btrfs file system.

Started by way12go, December 25, 2014, 02:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

way12go

How to install Linux using btrfs file system.

How to install Debian on a Btrfs filesystem.

Primary partition: Partition type " ext3 ". Create a 100 MB > sda1 < ( first partition ) partition with label /boot

Primary partition: Partition type " btrfs ". Create a second partition > sda2 < 20 - 30 GB with label /root and after applying all partitions using gparted attach a flag, boot - flag.

Extended partition: Partition type " btrfs ". Create a third partition > sda5 < Leave 2-4 GB for swap and use rest of the harddisk for /home

Extended partition: Partition type " linux-swap ". Create a third partition > sda6 <

Apply gparted disk partition settings and create boot flag for /root

Install grub to all partitions.

If grub fails use boot-repair app from live-distro and install grub to all partitions.

Just install grub to all partitions if you are not sure where to install.

The above method is tested on Debian based distro Neptune OS.

Desktop booted to grub menu and was rescued using boot-repair application.

Laptop booted without any adjustments.

During booting if I skip the 5 seconds boot menu it goes into kernel panic and I had to remove laptop battery.

If I wait for 5 seconds it boots without any errors.

For some reason we still don't have btrfs in Sparkylinux distro.

I use Sparkylinux on my Tower/Desktop and Laptop.

Sparkylinux is the best Linux distro but I tried Neptune OS because the youtube linux reviewer - InfinitelyGalactic posted couple of videos on it. He never made a Sparkylinux video even though it was requested. I requested several guys but, only two of them made Sparkylinux video.

I'm hoping this tutorial will immensely help you if btrfs filesystem is introduced to Sparkylinux.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

way12go

GRUB doesn't recognize btrfs so we need 100 MB ext3 partition with /boot label.

How to install Debian 7.4 on a Btrfs filesystem

This post shows how to install Debian 7.4 on a btrfs file system.

http://forum.linuxbsdos.com/topic/113/how-to-install-debian-7-4-on-a-btrfs-filesystem

I used boot flag on /root partition but the above guide says we need boot flag on /boot partition.

I used 100 MB /boot partition but the above post says 300 MB partition.

I learned this method by trial and error and now I found this tutorial which I didn't find earlier.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

View the most recent posts on the forum