Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

A Spoiler Button For Posting The Results Of Commands

Started by perknh, August 19, 2014, 10:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perknh

If there's one thing I've learned over the last couple of days, it is this: when you run commands such as dmesg and lsmod, the results can take an enormous amount of space -- pages of space!  This is why a spoiler button could become very, very handy here at Sparky.  A spoiler button takes a page of code and puts it into a very small and condensed space.  Here's an example:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,858.msg7414.html#msg7414

After what I've seen with the results of the command dmesg, I bet such a tool would become very popular around here quite quickly.   ;)

way12go

Yeah! It will be handy. I read your wifi post. Damn I'm not an expert to understand any of it but, it was very interesting. The funny thing is there was no error. You just removed something and completely forgot about it and then when the problem is solved, you got reminded of it that it was your silly mistake.  :)
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

perknh

Hello way12go,

That's exactly what it was -- my silly mistake.  I saw they had a Network Manager (called Manage Networks), and I thought it looked like a better replacement to the default System Tray.  Yes, "my silly mistake" -- that's a good way of putting it.  ;)

The funny thing is, way12go, we may have discovered a bug with the LXDE Network Manager during this whole process.  But we'll have to wait and see if MoroS encounters the same problem on his computer.  If he does, we've discovered a bug -- and all because of my silly mistake! 

This may be an LXDE issue, or maybe it's just an issue with my laptop and that LXDE applet.  This we don't know yet.

Thanks for writing,

perknh

An update a couple of hours later:

According to pavroo -- our Global Moderator and Senior Member -- there's nothing to report. So, no, we didn't even find a bug out of that whole exercise.  Ouch!

Now, way12go, as for your comment, that a spoiler would "be handy."  Yes, spoilers take those long strings of code and get them out of the way until needed. Spoilers can help clean up posts, make reading easier, and save a lot of page space.

Of course, it's one thing to say spoilers would be helpful, but it's another thing to add the spoiler feature to Sparky's Forum.  I'm sure it's easier said than done.

I'm just sharing an idea that many people have found useful when dealing with long strings of code.

way12go

As you said "It's easier said than done" If you read pavroo's signature the message is similar.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

perknh

It's so true.  What looks so simple to do can often take years to learn.

way12go

This is my blog

You will see a similar image.

perknh

I found it, way12go, and that's pretty cool that you have your own blog.  You got some philosophy in there, and some mathematical theory.  Interesting stuff. 

And that got me to thinking. A spoiler would be as helpful to a forum on mathematics as they are to forums with lots of computer code.  On a mathematics site a spoiler would take those long mathematical formulas and tuck them away until someone wants or needs to review them again.

Thank you for sharing your blog with me.  It's very impressive.

perknh

pavroo

QuoteA spoiler would be as helpful to a forum on mathematics as they are to forums with lots of computer code.
That's true.
I tried to find a mod to get the functionality but I couldn't.
If you know how to do that let me know, please.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

perknh

Here we are, pavroo, compliments of PCNetSpec over at Peppermint forum.  ;)

We hope this helps:

http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,884.msg7633.html#msg7633

pavroo

Thank's a lot.
Installed already!

perknh

Click to view:

[spoiler]It looks great, pavroo!  When people learn how to use it, they going to like it a lot.  With the combination of increased page size and the spoiler tool, code is going to get a lot easier to work with here at Sparky. 

By the way, I just succumbed to temptation.  I just had to try it out!   :)[/spoiler]

pavroo

I was the only way to find out does it work or not :)

way12go

PCNetSpec

If an admin goes to

Administration Center > Modification Settings > Miscellaneous

I found it useful to change:-

Default spoiler title: Spoiler (click here to view)

and save.

So the default spoiler title looks like this:-

[spoiler=Spoiler (click here to view)]just sayin ;)[/spoiler]

[EDIT]

Another suggestion might be to reset your SMF theme(s) to "Return to topics after posting by default." .. instead of it returning you to the board index (as it did me when I first made this posting .. yet oddly not after the edit)

BTW, if any of this seems a bit presumptuous of me .. just ignore me ;)

OK, now off to test drive your distro....

pavroo

The spoiler done (added the text).
The second one not found yet :(

View the most recent posts on the forum