Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

SparkyLinux Custom ISO Builder

Started by way12go, August 12, 2014, 03:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

way12go

I wish there is a tutorial for "SparkyLinux Custom ISO Builder".
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

pavroo

It will be soon, it's on my working list.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

pavroo

configX

Thanks, pavroo! That's a nifty tool you have there. I was considering using it to make a pekwm Sparky remix.

pavroo

Why not? Feel free to customize Sparky.
Don't forget to past a download link when ready :)

Chdslv

Tried everything as in the tutorial, but the building iso process stops after about 12% and the computer restarts. I tried both methods, rebuild and the custom-build, but the result is the same. I did this again, without changing any app, except the iso name, but the result is the same.  Could you check the files, please?

pavroo

1. Just let me know, to make sure: it stopped when xorriso was working?
2. Can you check what is the size of the new filesystem.squashfs file (in MB)
3. What iso image you try to rebuild? It's not compatible with all Debian based distros.

Chdslv

Quote from: pavroo on November 26, 2014, 11:18:41 PM
1. Just let me know, to make sure: it stopped when xorriso was working?
2. Can you check what is the size of the new filesystem.squashfs file (in MB)
3. What iso image you try to rebuild? It's not compatible with all Debian based distros.

1. Yes, xorriso was working.
2. It was 313.8 MB, when it stopped.
3. Sparkylinux-3.5-x86_64-xfce.iso

pavroo

I have checked the app and the iso image - it still works fine.
I think the problem is on your side.
It was 313.8 MB
The squashfs is too small. Normal one is about 1.5GB, if you added more packages it has to be even bigger.
As small as 300MB can be CLI edition iso only.
So I think there is not a problem with xorriso:

but with building the new squashfs file (which is creating before iso image by xorriso):

So it looks like, in my way that making the new filesystem.squashfs file you have used all available disk space.
That's why it stopped working.
To unpack sparky full edition iso you need at least 5GB, to build a new iso you need another 2-5 GB extra space.
If you have added much more extra applications to the new iso, and for example you'd like to build 4GB iso image, you need about 15-20 GB of the space.
Let me know some more about your space you had when the app stopped working.
Anyway if it still is a bug, it can help me fix it, if now it will help you build a new iso image.

MoroS

Quote from: pavroo on November 27, 2014, 08:45:01 PM
So it looks like, in my way that making the new filesystem.squashfs file you have used all available disk space.
I wonder. I never heard of reboots caused by using up all the free space. The process should stop with an error, but no reason to reboot. If that was to be the symptom, then the system would never boot again (after restart there would still be no free space). I would suspect overheating here. That's a much more plausible cause for a reboot. Try monitoring your sensors and free disk space (just in case if I'm wrong on the disk space issue) while building the ISO.
There's no such thing as "impossible". :)

pavroo

It can stop working if all the space is used.
I missed the rebooting, but it true.
My old laptop shuts down or reboots many times when the temperature was too hight.

Chdslv

You asked me about the filesystem.squashfs, which was the amount I mentioned. The squashfs-root was 5.2GB. I had more than 7.8 GB free after the rebooting. There is no overheating. I am going to try again.

Chdslv

I tried again in a 22GB partition for the remaster folder. The working base is Sparkylinux-3.5-x86_64-xfce.iso and the iso to rebuild was the same. the squashfs-root is 4.9GB. Around 10-11% the building process stopped and the laptop powered off. The filesystem.squashfs is 316.1MB. The laptop never got over heated.

To check this matter, I remastered Ubuntu 14.10 within the partition, where Ubuntu was installed. The whole partition was 21GB, and the remaster was built within it. It used all 4 processors and the remaster was done within few minutes. I burnt it to a USB and installed it to make a full check.

I watched the speed of the remastering process in both and I see that Custom Iso Builder is quite slow. Most probably, it is not using all 4 processors.

EDIT: This happens when I try to use the Build_New method. The filesystem.squashfs should at least be 1.5GB

pavroo

Yes, it should be, but your machine shuts down for a reason I don't know yet.

Chdslv

I made what's supposed to be done by the Build_New in a roundabout way and created a full remaster using the same machine. It was done in few minutes, using all 4 processors. I did that as a try, and I'd try to polish the files and redo it later. By the way, have anyone fully remastered SparkyLinux using the Custom-Iso-Builder?

View the most recent posts on the forum