Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[Solved] Sparky backup system

Started by way12go, August 02, 2014, 04:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

way12go

When I tried to use this option, it says

Quotethe user doesn't have a proper home directory
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

pavroo

Did you mark your nick name from the user list when the application ask for?
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

way12go

There is only one user, me and I did mark it. I have 100 MB boot, 30 GB root, 4 GB swap and rest home.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

pavroo

OK, let me check it, I'll back soon.

pavroo

It's really strange.
The output message says that the user you chosen is different that the user's home folder (for example: user: pavroo -> user folder: /home/pavroo). The script says that the two thing are not the same.
That's why it stopped.

way12go

There is only one entry. Pick and info. No option to choose user folder

way12go

I clicked cancel on user selecting option and it's working. If it works I will mark this solved.

way12go

I installed Age Of Empires HD on play on linux and Microsoft Office 2007. AOE HD is working great, faster than windows I guess. Office 2007 was installed in a minute or two. MS word and MS excel are working and rest of the apps are not working even though it's a full install. I thought my desktop and these apps can be found in backup.

Backup works thanks. I did backup entire system and burned it to USB pendrive and tried to boot using F10 and it didn't recognize pendrive then I changed BIOS setting to boot from USB HD, USB FD and so on and I also disabled fast boot I enabled USB some option (I forgot) and it worked.

All installed apps are present. The default settings I changed like wallpaper, dock position didn't get saved. The new ISO has default sparky wallpaper and default sparky LxDE dock. Also Age Of Empires and Office 2007 were absent.

Sparky backup is working great. I shall mark the post solved.

QuoteAll I have to do is

click backup option

and then a popup window appears

click cancel

and you have your ISO.

Done.

Thanks pavroo for this amazing distro.

This distro is free from errors. Just perfect.

Thanks again.

pavroo

QuoteThere is only one entry. Pick and info. No option to choose user folder
I know that, I was trying to tell you how does it works.
I am still surprised that you did not click on the user name.
I made a test on my machine and it works fine.
QuoteThe default settings I changed like wallpaper, dock position didn't get saved.
No, it doesn't.
If you used a wallpaper or any different desktop setting from your home folder - i won't be saved.
QuoteAlso Age Of Empires and Office 2007 were absent.
That's right, the same situation as above.
If you installed some applications using Wine, all of theme have been installed in your home directory.
If can't be copied to backuped iso image.

way12go

If I click on user it says
Quoteuser doesn't have a proper home directory

If I click cancel or close it then backup starts.

If I click "ok " I get to see the initial screen.

Does it mean that root and home shouldn't be on two different partitions?

pavroo

QuoteIf I click cancel or close it then backup starts.
If it does, just make your backup.
QuoteDoes it mean that root and home shouldn't be on two different partitions?
No it doesn't have to.
For some reasons the backup process doesn't start on your computer when you click on your nick name.
I checked it more than 5 times today, with different configuration and still works fine.
Anyway I found and fixed a few small issues so the new version 0.1.8 going to the repository now.

way12go

I upgraded everything and now even closing without choosing user doesn't work. It completely started to fail. Not at all working.

Then what I did is, I created a desktop shortcut from settings and went to view properties and found
Quotegksu /usr/bin/sparkybackup-gui

Then I did
Quotesudo sparkybackup

Then I did
Quotesudo sparkybackup dist

GUI version is not working.

CUI version is working.

Still the iso is 2 GB. It doesn't look as it detected the home directory. I will burn it to usb live boot it and report back to you.

As far as I know it say home user directory is not proper.

I have 100 MB SDA1 boot ext2
30 GB SDA2 root ext4 logical partition
4 GB SDA3 extended partition swap
rest logical partition SDA4 Home directory.

way12go

Home directory is 6 GB without any downloaded or extra files so the ISO should be around 8 GB but it's only 2 GB. Why is this not working for me? What seems to be the problem?

way12go

The result is an updated 3 GB ISO file. But Age Of Empires is absent. I guess home folder is still not detected. Any way Command Line Interface at least backs up the ISO. And when I live booted the USB pendrive I got debian desktop with dock on the left side showing firefox icon even though it's iceweasel. Any way that's not the problem. Appearances can be changed.

pavroo

QuoteAge Of Empires is absent.
As I said before the home folder is not copied, only desktop's config files.
Can you run the command in a text console emulator and show me result, please:
sudo sparkybackup-gui

View the most recent posts on the forum