Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

New distro hopper

Started by RacerBG, July 31, 2014, 12:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerBG

Well, after looking at Sparky for quite a while finally I decided that I must: try it, enjoy it, install once and forget. For me this is the strongest part of Sparky (and of course the Debian roots). But still I wonder for one thing: What desktop to use? XFCE or the future LXQT edition? Maybe I should wait a little more while I'm writing here on the forums. :) For me the only weak part of Sparky is the small community but you know sometimes smaller is better. 8)

About the distro hopping - if you look at other distro forums (like Linux Mint one) you will be surprised that I'm already there! ;D

And by the way, my name is George and I'm from Bulgaria.

pavroo

I think the LXDE is the best choice.
I know that it will be dropped, but LXQt is not stable and for testers only.
When Sparky LXQt spin will be ready, it shouldn't be a problem to upgrade existing sparky lxde (if you go for it) installation into lxqt.
Anyway Xfce is very stable and fast too so I think you should try both as Live, look around and make your mind yourself :)
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

way12go

Hi Friend, I'm a distro hopper too. Believe me sparkylinux is the best linux distro. I'm a newbie and this a newbie opinion. I think I've seen you on Bodhilinux... or did I? May be on linuxmint or some other distro. Let me Google it... Nope I didn't find you and me on any forum posting together on the same topic. Any way this is the best linuxdistro in a newbie opinion like myself.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

RacerBG

Quote from: way12go on July 31, 2014, 03:06:37 PM
Hi Friend, I'm a distro hopper too. Believe me sparkylinux is the best linux distro. I'm a newbie and this a newbie opinion. I think I've seen you on Bodhilinux... or did I? May be on linuxmint or some other distro. Let me Google it... Nope I didn't find you and me on any forum posting together on the same topic. Any way this is the best linuxdistro in a newbie opinion like myself.

I'm on Linux Mint, Manjaro, Crunch Bang, here. Also I'm translating XFCE and other projects in Transifex, I'm also responsible for a few games in Wine app db, etc... At all except Manjaro, I'm Debian boy. My only try with RPM distro was with Mageia 3. I installed it once and after a few hours I forget about this idea. ;D

way12go

OpenSUSE is best, if not the best then very good RPM distro.
Success gives birth to success? Failure gives birth to failure? - Sagar Gorijala.

RacerBG

Quote from: way12go on July 31, 2014, 04:13:56 PM
OpenSUSE is best, if not the best then very good RPM distro.

Its KDE version was very heavy on my VBox and I abandoned this idea also. But I agree - OpenSUSE is the best RPM distro. :) I tried a lot of distros, even pure Debian. It was so awesome to build it from the ground up! :'( My only problem with pure Debian however were the bad ftp/http servers which the installer provides (at least for me they were not working right). My biggest achievement was bare bones Arch install but I do not want to remember this day...3 days reading, 1 day installing... :-X

vrkalak

Welcome to Sparky   ;D

One of the best OS-distro for Debian-Testing

I have been using Linux (exclusively) for about 10 years.
I started my Linux Journey with Fedora > Sabayon > Mint > Crunchbang > and finally Debian.
Been using Xfce DE, since my 1st day with Linux.

I am a Admin/Moderator for a couple of Forums - LinuxMint Forum and Ask.Debian.net
Also, I am a Debian-Maintainer (DM) 
And, one of the Dev/Testers for Xfce-4.12 DE

View the most recent posts on the forum