Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

How to 'easily' drag/resize open windows in xfce

Started by wayne, July 18, 2014, 07:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne

When I use xfce, I have trouble drag or resize any open windows, because it is very difficult to point to the bottom/right corner of an open windows...

I think my hand does not allow me to  'move mouse to the required pixel precision' :(

Not an issue on Windows, it will popup an 'arrow' when mouse is near the bottom/right corner.

For a while I use this method to overcome, left hand press and hole ALT key, right hand mouse and an arrow similar to windows OS will appear, then I can drag and resize open windows..

See picture attached, look at the 'arrow' on the bottom/right of iceweasel's open windows.

My question:
How can I do that in XFCE to achieve similar thing without pressing ALT key ( or just use mouse on right hand) ??

Can the same thing be done on Mate / OpenBox??

thanks

pavroo

Can you hide the left panel and try to move the Iceweasel window to the left?
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

wayne

Yes, I can change left panel to top.

Open windows can move towards left side without issue.

but the issue here is : it is very difficult to 'aim at the correct spot' on the bottom/right corner of the open windows in order to shrink the size of the open windows.

The Black Pig

pavroo

I know what you mean now.
It's difficult to resize a window using a pointer.
The window border is very tiny and that why it's difficult to catch the corner and resize it, is it correct?
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

GeneC

Hard to grab 'handles' are an issue with many themes, especially xfce's.  I am using Compiz and Emerald on my Sparky xfce.  Its not in the repos, but I saved some old .debs.  Most Emerald borders are quite easy to grab, and if not big enough you can easily edit them.

You could try some gtk themes?  Go to settings 'window manager' and try changing to other themes.

I vote for Compiz and Emerald in the repos, so other can try.
(I can email the debs if the devs want a look)?
GeneC

wayne

@The Black Pig,
That issue is for any windows, not limited to iceweasel.

@pavroo,
Quote from: pavroo on July 18, 2014, 10:38:37 PM
I know what you mean now.
It's difficult to resize a window using a pointer.
The window border is very tiny and that why it's difficult to catch the corner and resize it, is it correct?

Exactly...

@Gene,

thanks.. at least now I know a better phrase on this subject:
I did not know that is called 'handle'

Yes, please send me the dev files , I am trying to make a very simple debian based distros for a friend, and after I 'turn my practices to WinXP and Win7 for a while I suddenly realised how easy is for Windows user to grab the apps-windows-handle...really just mouse somewhere on right/bottom corner and the Win-handle popup, very easy'..

Oh.. thanks for the tip on other theme, I went to Setting>Window Manager and try a few . some indeed make the job of grabbing handle easier than those in 'xfce theme'.

View the most recent posts on the forum