Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

[KDE Version] How to Install Drivers?

Started by ENTPRESTIGIOUS, Today at 07:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ENTPRESTIGIOUS

I am not really sure on how to install nvidia drivers and enable 3d acceleration. I have a GTX 1650 Max-Q. I did some stuff with nvidia-detect and installed the 470 drivers. And then I got carried away and installed one that was told from a Debian documentation. nvidia-smi works but I remember using a command similar to vainfo and my GPU didn't show up.

Someone I know told me that I was installing it wrong and that I should install it based on the desktop environment. They also told me about nvidia-vaapi-driver, which I did manage to install but I had to force-overwrite a file due to conflicts but didn't really configure it because I don't use Firefox.

But yeah it's just a total mess. I don't know if I installed it properly and I have no clue how to enable GPU 3d acceleration on Opera/Chrome. The fact that my CPU is going crazy whenever I do something on browser is driving me nuts. Yes, graphics acceleration is enabled (by default btw).

duststuff

Don't have much experience with this, so can't help you much with details. If you haven't done so already, the place I would probably start is searching this forum using one or more keywords related to your graphics hardware to see if anyone else has already encountered / solved this problem. (I guess it's always possible keywords related to the make / model of your laptop may also be useful / necessary.) Then you could do the same thing with Debian resources (see their website for documentation, wiki, etc.) and/or Debian-related forums. (Maybe even any Linux-related forums?) You do want to be aware of the dates of any related posts you see -- if they're pretty old, there's always a chance that part/all of them are not relevant anymore. You'll probably also want to take pretty detailed notes of your attempt to resolve this, so you can approach it more systematically. And putting some time into figuring out how to get possibly helpful input from terminal output and/or log files might also point you in the right direction on some aspects of this. This could turn out to be time-consuming, frustrating, and (on the positive side) an opportunity to learn, but I'm guessing there's a decent chance a fix or workaround can be found. Hopefully there are some nvidia users who can also chime in with more details perhaps.

View the most recent posts on the forum