Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Using Sparky-Backup for a New Installation

Started by dhinds, February 15, 2014, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhinds

I backedup my Sparky Ultra installation with Sparky-Backup and want to use it to install Sparky Ultra on a different computer.  Obviously, the hardware is different, as are the partition numbers.

Does that matter?  In both cases, separate / and /home partitions will used.  IOW, is Sparky-Backup intended only for restoring a Sparky installation to the same computer, or can it be used for installing a complete installation (inc. apps that were added post-installation, email account configurations etc.) on another computer?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

pavroo

SparkyBackup will make a copy of your system and installed extra applications. It will make an iso image so it can be installed as a regular iso image on any machine. But it does not copy personal settings of your applications such as emails, bookmarks, created files, etc. Use SparkyBackup-Apps to backup applications settings.

Before you erase old system, check new remastered iso image as a live system.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

dhinds

Quote:

Quote from pavroo on February 15, 2014, 20:53

SparkyBackup will make a copy of your system and installed extra applications. It will make an iso image so it can be installed as a regular iso image on any machine. But it does not copy personal settings of your applications such as emails, bookmarks, created files, etc. Use SparkyBackup-Apps to backup applications settings.

Good.  That will save a lot of time.

Quote:

Before you erase old system, check new remastered iso image as a live system.

The system I backed up will be transplanted to another computer that currently doesn't have Sparky Ultra installed on it.

As I understand you, first I install the complete system (Sparky plus what I added), then I can complement that with the email configurations, etc.

Thanks, pavroo.

pavroo

Yes, install remastered system on another machine, then recover apps settings using SparkyBackup-Apps.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

View the most recent posts on the forum