Software & hardware support > Applications

[SOLVED] Rebuilding Grub

(1/2) > >>

dhinds:
What's the code to rebuild Grub on the mbr of /sda?

TIA

pavroo:
If you run Sparky installed on a hard drive, find package 'grub' in Synaptic, mark all installed grub packs for reinstalling.

There are 4 or 5 packages installed already so reinstall theme. That's all.

This is the easiest way.

dhinds:

Quote:
Quote from pavroo on February 4, 2014, 01:15

If you run Sparky installed on a hard drive, find package 'grub' in Synaptic, mark all installed grub packs for reinstalling.

There are 4 or 5 packages installed already so reinstall theme. That's all.

This is the easiest way.

Thanks pavroo.  You are right - it was easy to do.  However, the problem has not been resolved.  To start from the beginning:

The power supply of a desktop computer failed after 3.5 years and was replaced.  However, the 2 identical hard drives were connected in the reverse order (what had been sda was recognized as sdb, which prevented Sparky Ultra from recognizing the user account's /home partition).

Meanwhile I entered openSUSE (which I hadn't been using), which updated it's system and took over the Grub.

But - I then reconnected the hard drives so that the original disk identities were restored (sda as sda etc. - which allowed Sparky Ultra to return to normal) and proceeded to reinstall Grub as you recommended.  Four files were reinstalled:

Quote:
[*]grub-common

[*]grub-pc

[*]grub-pc-bin (and)

[*]grub2-common

At the end of the re-installation I was asked where I wanted the Grub installed and I checked sda (although Sparky Ultra is on sdb15, the grub had always been on the mbr of sda).

But that didn't work.  Using a SuperGrub2 boot disk for 2011, I re-entered Sparky and reinstalled grub once again.  And again.  But with the same results (except I wasn't asked where I wanted the grub installed again), which reads as follows:

Quote:
Welcome to Grub

error: unknown file system.

Entering rescue mode...

grub rescue>

Apparently, I am still goiing to have to code - or install an alternative bootloader.  (At present, I must use a Super Grub2 boot disk to load the OS).

(I attempted to change the boot preference order for the two hard drives in the BIOS - Award BIOS v. F7 for a Gigabyte X58A-UD7  but observed no change - of course the drives are identical).

Recommendations?

(openSUSE Gnome is about the only other system I ever use on that computer, although LMDE, Solus, Point and Neptune -all Debian deriitives- are also installed).

pavroo:
What OS have you installed as the last one?

dhinds:

Quote:
Quote from pavroo on February 4, 2014, 20:49

What OS have you installed as the last one?

The last one was Sparky Ultra but as I mentioned, I went into openSUSE and it was updated/upgraded, which captured the Grub.  This was complicated additionally because the hard drives were removed before taking the computer in to intall a new power supply and when they were reinstalled again later, the order was wrong.  And I think openSUSE was updated before I changed them back.

What I don't understand is why reinstalling the Grub from Sparky Ultra to the correct sda didn't resolve this issue.

As I said, I can get in by using a SuperGrup2 boot disk, but I'd prefer to fix this and avoid doing that every time I boot the computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version