Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Sparky Gnome

Started by dhinds, January 10, 2014, 09:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhinds

I have been using Sparky Mate with considerable success except for a problem that has reoccurred (first with one computer on which I installed v. 3.1 and then with another on which I installed v. 3.2, both 64 bit) with the user login and as a result, I am running both as root.  (The problem was explained in a much earlier post and solutions were provided, but now it has reoccurred).

I'm not sure whether the difficulty is a Debian issue or a Mate issue but in any case, I decided to install Sparky Gnome and see what happens,

Since that DE is not offered by Sparky, I assume that I could build it using either the cli build or the Ultra Openbox edition (Gnome can use Openbox as it's XWindow Manager).

The purpose of this comment is to confirm that perception,  Opinions?  Pavroo?

(I could use the default Debian Testing iso but I consider Sparky to be an improved configuration and software package selection).

Thanks in advance.

pavroo

CLI or Ultra is  a good way to build own DE. GNOME can use Openbox Window manager, just install 'openbox-gnome-session' package if you don't like metacity. I started making new app 'sparky-desktop-manager' to easy install any DE, but it is laying down until I'll find time for that.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

Somewhat Reticent

This could get complicated - exponentially. After all, there's no base API for desktop environments, is there?

But modular build-your-own-system is a very appealing concept, just like carrying a toolset mini-repository.

Something to keep in the back of the mind, I suspect, a long-term consideration. Or tutorial, or wiki guide.

dhinds

Quote:

Quote from pavroo on January 10, 2014, 23:47

CLI or Ultra is  a good way to build own DE.

Which of the two routes is likely to be easier and/or more secure (that is, generate better results)?

Perhaps I should ask if the CLI iso is intended to be used as a base platform, or as is?

Quote:

Quote from pavroo on January 10, 2014, 23:47GNOME can use Openbox Window manager, just install 'openbox-gnome-session' package if you don't like metacity.

I can't say I don't like (or like, for that matter) metacity, more or less than Openbox.  Do you yourself have a preference?  What are the tradeoffs (the strengths and weakness of one vs. the other)?

On looking around I found a variety of opinions and in any case, Gnome 3 uses mutter.

Quote:

Quote from pavroo on January 10, 2014, 23:47I started making new app 'sparky-desktop-manager' to easy install any DE, but it is laying down until I'll find time for that.

Meanwhile, we'll strive to get by one way or another.  Would you care to venture a guess why Sparky Mate has stopped allowing me to log on as the original user on two different computers?  Or whether this is a Debian issue or a Debian Mate or?

Thanks in advance

pavroo

Yes, you right - mutter, metacity was before. I use LXDE for the last a few years, means nor GNOME nor KDE.

CLI or Ultra? It depends of you. Ultra tels you install another DE in running graphical environment, but it has some tools you don't need for MATE or GNOME. It is an easy way. CLI has only base system, so if you feel well with a text console - it's more practical way to build own DE with any additionat trash. If I do that, I used to build it from CLI.

Talking about log in bug - I don't know yet, but I'll try to look around.

pavroo

Just let me know, did you make dist-upgrade before you coudn't log in after next system starts up or it happens after Sparky installation after the first boot?

pavroo

I have re-read your previous post and I am still trying understand what is going on. I have made two testing installation of Sparky MATE 64 bit with different options and everything gone well. But...

Log in as root, go to /home folder (not /home/your-nick) and show me results of the command:

Code:

ls -l

Anyway you can remove your present password manually editing as root the file:

Code:

/etc/passwd

Find a line started with your nick name and remove "x:" so it should looks like (not pavroo :) ):

Code:

pavroo:1000:1000:pavroo,,,:/home/pavroo:/bin/bash

Then save it, reboot and try to log in to user account normally with no password.

dhinds

Quote:

Quote from pavroo on January 11, 2014, 20:28

Just let me know, did you make dist-upgrade before you couldn't log in after next system starts up or it happens after Sparky installation after the first boot?

I used the system for quite a while with no problems before the problem arose, updating regularly and upgrading once in a while; so it probably happened after an upgrade.  (If I had been using the Sparky BackUp System I would probably have been able to resolve this sooner).

As for your other questions and suggestions, I'm using Sparky E17 on another computer at the moment (trying to figure that one out) but will get back to the other one shortly.

pavroo

If it happend after one of upgrades, don't make any change.

Try to fix any broken packages in text console and see output messages following commands:

Code:

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get install -f
apt-get dist-upgrade

dhinds

Yes, I definitely want to regain access to the user account on Sparky Mate and will follow up on your suggestions shortly.

I also am interested in installing a Gnome version of Sparky (I have been able to get more done with Sparky than with Debian Testing) and began with the CLI version but the commands I tried didn't produce the intended results so I ran the Ultra version and installed a lot of Gnome applications (including the full Gnome Desktop) during the live session, and assumed it is necessary to reboot in order for them to take effect.  But I couldn't find the installation application, There is no icon on the desktop and no listing in the openbox menu that appears when left clicking the desktop (or in the XFE4-panel that accompanies it), so I will have to wait.  After installing Sparky Ultra, adding Gnome and rebooting, the Gnome 3 Desktop will appear - or it won't.

I rebooted to look for an installation option (rather than run the live session) but that doesn't appear either.

So the trick now is installing Sparky Ultra.  I assume it can be installed, but how?

In any case, judging from your suggestions, getting the Sparky Mate installation back into shape appears to be doable.  I have installed on both the laptop and the main desktop machines and preferred it the rest of the distros installed on other partitions.

pavroo

You have 3 ways to run installer in Ultra Edition:

1. right click menu-> Applications-> System

2. home folder-> Installer icon

3. in text console run command: sudo sparkylinux-installer gui

dhinds

Thanks - I tried two of those but will do so again.

(I just replied to the earlier quote but it didn't post.  it was rather long but I will redo it.  I should have copied it before submitting it).

I have been unable to submit it but will attempt to add it here:

Code:

root@cmgx58i7:~# cd /home
root@cmgx58i7:/home# ls -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 25 douglash douglash 4096 Jan 12 06:47 douglash
drwxr-xr-x  3 root     root     4096 Jan 11 09:14 remastersys

The user douglash was created after I failed to enter my dhinds account, which I changed the passwd for following the instructions you provided earlier. But I am still unable to enter that account.  So i manually recreated 15 email accounts and my Mate desktop (panels etc.) under root.

The subdirectory passwd does not appear under /etc (there are 15 subdirectories that begin with "P" under /etc but none is passwd or anything similar).  Could it be somewhere else?

Code:

root@cmgx58i7:/home# cd /etc
root@cmgx58i7:/etc# cd /etc/passwd
bash: cd: /etc/passwd: Not a directory

Another strange thing:  gparted doesn't indicate that Sparky's /home partition is mounted (and the / partition filled - so I enlarged it.  That happened after the problem occurred).

Are the /home partitions associated with distinct users or do different users have separate directories on the /home partition?

Yet another strange issue is, two separate / partitions are shown to be mounted as such:  / (labeled Sparky) and / labeled Debian (which was installed after I was unable to access my Sparky Mate 3.2 user).

I will also mention that Sparky is shown on the Debian Grub menu as Debian Testing also, whereas other Linux Derivitives (i.e. LMDE, Solus, Neptune & Point - which I no long use) are indicated under their own names.  I mention this because it's something you might want to take care of (not that it's urgent).

I had never installed Debian previously and frankly, I prefer Sparky.  Sparky comes with many of the applications I prefer already installed and a much more complete selection of Repositories.  I do like Gnome 3 (although Mate is more functional for me at present - if the loss of user problem - which affects Mint and Ubuntoo also, can be resolved, and we are doing just that).  Debian's Synaptic is acting strange also, whereas there's no problem with Sparky's.  And of course the Sparky Forums are excellent. 8-)

I'll install Sparky Ultra and see if I can add the Full Gnome 3 Desktop.  (Although using Sparky Mate as root is fine, if I am careful about the permissions.  Although Sparky is my main system I do use openSUSE 13.1 Gnome occasionally).

pavroo

The rights of your home folder are OK.

/etc/passwd is not a folder, it's a file so edit it with a text editor, for example:

Code:

nano /etc/passwd

But don't change it yet.

Check fstab file is the home folder configured by fstab:

Code:

nano /etc/fstab

so it should look like that (change sda8 for your home's device):

Code:

#Entry for /dev/sda8 :
UUID=d389e6c1-db27-4897-9622-2b810528bd55       /home   ext4    defaults        0       2

Find the UUID of home partition with command:

Code:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

Then save the fstab file and reboot.

dhinds

Quote:

Quote from pavroo on January 11, 2014, 22:33

If it happend after one of upgrades, don't make any change.

Try to fix any broken packages in text console and see output messages following commands:

Code:

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get install -f
apt-get dist-upgrade

Did that, but the problem persists. I can login either as root or via a new account, which I have yet to configure (so I use root).

However:  I installed Sparky Ultra today and am very favorably impressed.  Everything seems to be working and the system is very responsive. I am using it at the moment, and between the xfce4-panels and the right click desktop controls, I will leave it as is for a while.  I may not need Gnome.  This is a good OS.  For now I am better at using Mate but Ultra is as stable and fast as I've seen.  Installing a Windoze PIM w/ Wine (for instance), was easier than with any other, including Debian Testing itself.  And Qupzilla is one nice web browser (this I am writing using Opera Next).

I was unable to quote your last response (I've tried 4 or 5 times) so I trying adding my comment to it below:

I'll try that as soon as I get back into Sparky Mate.  I also need to figure out how to save my Thunderbird Profile from either the original user account or root (I redid 15 email accounts manually).

pavroo

Quote:

I also need to figure out how to save my Thunderbird Profile from either the original user account or root (I redid 15 email accounts manually).

You can copy all Icedove settings, accounts and emails via Sparky-Backup-Copy & Recovery.

If you use Thunderbird instead of Icedove, just copy root's home hidden folder called .thunderbird and past it to your home folder of the new account of new Sparky installation.

View the most recent posts on the forum