Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

I dont like being forced to install an OS the way you think it should be

Started by bikerozzy, January 04, 2014, 09:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikerozzy

I have been using Linux since 1997 and as my sole OS since 2002, I h ave developed my own way of having my system set up over these years, they may not always be the most secure way, but its the way I like and have never had any problems with it.

One of the reasons for using Linux is the freedom it offers me to have my system how I wan it, and not how others think it should be.

This is my first time looking at sparkylinux, and running the installer I am forced to do things I don't want to do, ok I can sort these out after installation, but I don't see why I should be forced to do things because someone else thinks its the most secure way.

Regards

Ozzy

rexbouwense

I'm not sure I understand.  What are you being forced to do that you do not want to do?

bikerozzy

instead of warnings about telling me what to use for paswords its forcing me to do it their way, i'e I cant use the same password for root and user

Robbie

pavroo

One password  is a Cannonical idea placed in Ubuntu and all its spins-off. It is hightly dengerous to use only one the same password for a regular user and the system administrator. We follow Debian using two passwords for full security.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

Somewhat Reticent

No worries, bikerozzy, no matter how secure a system may be designed to be, it's never going to be 100% userproof.

Rest assured, there's always a way.  Your first option is to always log in as root ;) or name yourself "su", as in "su see, sudo".

But to such freedom, a certain responsibility attaches - you gain convenience, and make your system very vulnerable. Hopefully your backup-copy discipline is top-notch.

One better way may be to build "sudo" options into the shortcuts you use most, so they automatically ask for the root password, taking less (but not zero) time and energy.

bikerozzy

I think the point is being missed here, setting the system up, as I want to use it is no problem after installation, I have never used Ubuntu, so cant comment on their policies, The whole point of my original post is that,. so much in this world today, I am being forced to do things the way someone else thinks it should be done, and not have a choice about it.

I know all the security implications et al.

Sorry this really is just a rant about the fact that linux based OSes should be all about freedom.

Robbie

Somewhat Reticent

And that's a valid concern, but you don't hand a toddler a stick of dynamite and a box of matches. Perhaps that's why there are 'core' {CLI here?} ISOs for 'advanced' users, while ready-made ISOs have 'training wheels'. If those feel like a straitjacket, I empathize.

I've downloaded, tried live, and installed a few distros, and become a little jaded at some warnings; I imagine a newbie might not fully comprehend just what a warning means. There are times I see great potential for improvement there; perhaps hyperlinks to expanded explanations or further references.

pavroo

If there is only one problem you have with sudo, you can enable it in two steps.

1. Add you to sudo group (as root):

Code:

adduser your-nick sudo

2. Create a hidden file in your home folder called '.su-to-rootrc' and place the text:

Code:

SU_TO_ROOT_SU=sudo

Then log out and log in back.

Now you can use only one password for everything. The root password is still active in the system, but you don't need to use it.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

rayman3264

pavoo ....did you just give an old hack away ...... shame on you ...lol

View the most recent posts on the forum