Advertising

Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

removeable madia hard to find and access

Started by rayman3264, December 30, 2013, 01:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayman3264

hi there i'm Ray I'm just switching over from fedora to sparky so plz excuse my ignorance but i have had a right old game trying to gain acces to my cdrom/dvd drive I have tryed both the 64 and 32 bit versions and although i have amd64 I am currently running the 32bit due to sound issues with the 64 . but thats a topic for another post . I was wondering after reading other post in desktop section and going through various menu's I managed to geth it to recocnise and mount disc's . my suggestion is this ..... on fedora there's a notification that comes up bottom right .. is there or could there be similar for sparky or even getting it to show on desktop as standard ...

i'm using an amd64 with 32bit gameover but will switch to 64bit when i have sorted the sound issue

by the way...." WAY COOL !"  Distro you guy's got here i hope to be using it full time soon to completely replace my fedora machine and winxp game machine asap.

thanks Ray.

pavroo

I should open CD/DVD media itself, but if not - open PCManFM and have a look is your media visible in left panel of the file manager out there?
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

rayman3264

i've done the usual and nothing visable untill i open disc management the drive mounts and becomes visable in filemanager and to programs otherwise it doesn't even show there is a drive . iwas thinking could a sym link on the desk top to removalble media solve this ..? or  is there a script somewhere for automount? i checked the feature in filmanager even cleared and rechecked as it was checked by default .... or a widget a widget might be an idea ...what you think ...?

sorry i'm using gameover 32bit at the moment and 've been spoilt with my old system which has been tweaked over the years .

pavroo

Install package 'udisks-glue', reboot and try again.

rayman3264

did the install and rebooted its still the same unless i open disk manger as soon as the cd is ejected and a new one put in it vanishes untill i open disk manager again which i find strange considering it doesn't show up in disk manager itself ...

is udisk configureable and where is it , conmandline arguments may be..?

pavroo

I have pure Debian 'testing' with LXDE desktop installed on my laptop and there is the same problem.

I have built a small app 'sparky-optical':

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sparkylinux/files/files/apps/sparky-optical_0.1.0_all.deb/download" class="bbcode_url">http://sourceforge.net/projects/sparkylinux/files/files/apps/sparky-optical_0.1.0_all.deb/download

Install it and reboot, so it will be loaded at panel's tray.

It will help you mount, unmount and eject CD/DVD media.

rayman3264

really well done  . is some thing you were already working on .? i'll try it right away . i did however notice it also became available when i open a few other programs to day while i was working my way round update video drivers etc on the 32 version . i really want to swap it to oss too because the alsa system just isnt to my liking theres very little control available to adjust things like surround and speakers .

J.Jay

Not to bug you with something you may already know/doing...

udisks-glue package needs to be installed (take you did that)

then also the command 'udisks-glue' (its a daemon,I.E. runs continuous) needs to be ran.

I run it from a'alt F2' to see if works properly  then put it in the startup programs/apps list.    It works/needed **for me** in a Xfce and Mate environment

Hopes helps/ or never mind me  ;)

J.Jay

pavroo

J.Jay is right, I forgot about that.

I will add the daemon to next release so to be fixed.

Thanks

rayman3264

thanks to both of you I had already d/loaded pavroo's ( sparky-optical ) and to honist i'm veru pleased with it ..... Glad to hear its inspired a tweak for the next release too....

rayman3264

cool thats its inspired a tweak to next release .. but I downloaded pavroo's app & to be perfectly honist " I REALLY like it " it sits there in the tray is handy and i like the force unmount option too as have come accross stuborn disc's before . so well done Pavroo and well spotted j.jay i had wondered wether or not it needed starting on bootup.

thanks to both of you .. ! step closer to being fully operational...

J.Jay

'udisks --enumerate &; exit' can also use this comand/deamon with no need of a extra package (in gtk DE's)

J.Jay ;)

P.S. I think its the same (udisks-glue just a ready made script/deamon)

View the most recent posts on the forum