Welcome to SparkyLinux forums
Zapraszamy również na polsko-języczne Forum https://forum.linuxiarze.pl

Trinity

Started by carlo, December 05, 2013, 09:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlo

Hi all

i've found an old hd and tested trinity on my office trashbin:

it's really cool, it is light, and suffers from minor glitching issues only (does it use glib as well?)

I must confess i had troubles starting gparted: it would never finish looking for devices ... So i had to ibstall it from textual

Alas i was not able to install razorqt from the sourcecode and now some programs started giving me error messages such as

"(nspluginviewer:4884): Gtk-ERROR **: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported"

even though i'm going to use razor for some more, i must say it's a great feeling using "kde3" again

keep working on improving it, please :)

rayman3264

try fixing the app with aptus . it solved a few issues i had .

crb3

Quote:

Quote from carlo on December 5, 2013, 21:20

Hi all

i've found an old hd and tested trinity on my office trashbin:

it's really cool, it is light, and suffers from minor glitching issues only (does it use glib as well?)

Hello all. I just tonight found out about Sparky and was delighted to see Trinity as one of the possible desktops. That ISO just went onto the list for scheduled downloads here; I'll be sure to give it a shake on one of the (mostly a decade old) machines here once it's in.

Quote:

Alas ... and now some programs started giving me error messages such as

"(nspluginviewer:4884): Gtk-ERROR **: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported"

I've got that problem currently with another Trinity/Debian distro, exegnu (TDE 3.5.13.2 over Debian Stable); it prevents iceweasel and etherape from running (not a good thing when one of the duties of the machine in that position is network-monitor). It showed up well after the ISO was installed to HD, when I was filling in all the tooling I wanted installed from the repos. This is one reason I was delighted to find your Trinity RC1 ISO.

This problem might be specific to Trinity: I've seen several postings on the Net which tie the two together. I *think* it showed up after I installed the Trinity -devs metapackage, but I can't be sure as the system was fine after that Synaptics run until I rebooted (to bring in a kernel upgrade), after which etherape failed to run. One post I saw suggested that one of the -dev packages messed up major paths, so, since then, I've been making room for another box in my office so I can install-and-reboot so as to catch the offending files 'in the act'. Trialing Sparky/TDE gives me the impetus to make that happen sooner :)

Quote:

even though i'm going to use razor for some more, i must say it's a great feeling using "kde3" again

keep working on improving it, please :)

I parted ways from Mepis when they made KDE4 their (Mepis 8.5) desktop, so I haven't put much attention towards Razor, which takes almost twice as much memory as Trinity according to the chart at http://l3net.wordpress.com/lightweight-linux/ (though not near as much as KDE4).

I'll just say, thank you very much for making Sparky/Trinity available and I hope it becomes a regular part of your suite.

crb3

A follow-up to my 13jan14 post... I finally got some time to chase this bug. I installed exegnu because that's where I had some prior experience with this; I expect it'll pay off when I get to playing with Sparky/TDE. Method: straight HD install, then, in Synaptic, start installing the rest of the TDE packages a few at a time, retracing earlier steps, with a reboot after each. Etherape and Iceweasel are brought up by the desktop after each reboot, up until the bug is triggered.

kgtk-qt3-trinity is the package that triggered the "Gtk-ERROR" message and aborted etherape and iceweasel.

I saved off the contents of the /etc branch after each successful install (cp -af /etc /home/crb3/public_html/grab/s/sav), but a diff of the branch (diff -rqbN /etc /home/crb3/public_html/grab/s/sav/etc) showed no substantive change; I was hoping. (Diff experts: did I botch the option switches?)

Fortunately, having Synaptic do a complete removal of that package, followed by a reboot, does restore those two programs to functionality.

carlo

hi

just wondering.. is it possible to have dolphin as default filemanager rather than konqueror?

pavroo

Quote:

is it possible to have dolphin as default file manager rather than konqueror

Yes, it is, but it will install whole KDE desktop I think :)
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux.org at [url="//irc.libera.chat"]irc.libera.chat[/url]

dhinds

Qupzilla (rather than iceweasel) ought to perform OK, since it's Qt based (it's the default browser on Sparky Ultra Openbox / JWM).

crb3

I am now happily running Sparky / TDE 24/7 HD-installed on an AMD E-350D APU system (mobo: BioStar A68I-350 Deluxe r2). Unlike with the Exe live-CD, the Sparky live-USB (ISO -> unetbootin) came up with sound working. Gtk2, Gtk3, Qt3, Qt4 apps all work. Unlike TDE over Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Sparky isn't nastily persistent about not letting me enable a TDE root login. Swapping in my own artwork was easy enough, as was Synaptic-installing oxygen cursors (because I happen to like the look). Just about everything in the Trinity suite is installed now, except for Compiz and Java bindings, plus a bunch of useful Gtk/Gnome apps. The machine is up 24/7, running two browsers, a bunch of persistent xterms and Etherape as part of its assigned job on my LAN. (It also only draws 40 watts, compared to the 70+ watts it drew when that Presario SR1210NX box held a Celeron; that's $5/mo off my power bill.)

About the only fiddling annoyance I have with the Sparky install is that the package 'yad', which is apparently needed in that version by Sparky APTus, is stuck at v0.21.0-1, while the latest version in all the repos is v0.25.0-1, so I get a persistent alert in Adept Notifier in the systray that there are packages to update.

Thanks again for making the TDE/Sparky distro available. Here's hoping it continues.

btw There's a dolphin-trinity package, fork-name 'D3lphin', so it is possible to run dolphin on the TDE desktop.

carlo

coool

i know what to do at my next format!

hank you

View the most recent posts on the forum