Software & hardware support > Desktops

MATE language

(1/3) > >>

carlo:
hi all

i'm using (maybe testing is more appropriated) sparky on a pretty old machine (some acer aspire with a pentium 4, according to what's written on the case), and i would like to know whether it's possible to change mate language (from english to italian)

besides i have some issues with graphics and internet:

i've noticed whenever i use iceweasel or midori cpu processor squeezes up to 99/100 percent, is it normal?

as for graphics icons tend to disappear, and today while i was on surfing the internet, i've got many "scars" on the monitor (pretty much like when resolution is toooo high for the monitor), but as pixels refreshed the scars faded; i should have installed an old geforce 440mx on it: may all of this depend on the nouveau drivers?

would razorqt, openbox, e17, etc etc etc be lighter work environments?

hi thanks

pavroo:
Language - run as root:

Code:
dpkg-reconfigure locales

and set italy UTF-8 as default.

100 % when using a web browser on an old machine? depens what you browse - if you open flash videos for example - it's normal.

Even you just open a web browser - ii needs much power.

Problems with graphics can be made by drivers, you right.

LXDE, Openbox and e17 is lighter than MATE for sure, Razor-Qt use similar power to MATE.

carlo:
it takes a while to elaborate normal pages as well.. once page is loaded, and has no videos nor kinky stuff as google mail does, it works pretty well.. so far i've tried midori and iceweasel... i'll try opera and seamonkey as soon as i'm ionoffice

if i didn't want to reinstall sparky, could i simply install those windows managers from synaptic o would i need further tweaking to have that "sparky flavour" out of cds versions have?

pavroo:
Yes you can, but it will install Debian desktops. We don't have meta packages to install Sparky desktops yet. All the DE are available in Debian testing repository, but e17 can be installed from Debian unstable "Sid" repo.

carlo:
Thank you

I'll go in for open box (brave new world)

Have a happy Sunday

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version